Cold start and the starter

I bought a new 2012 recently and my dealer told me not to use the starter when the bike is cold. He said it can ruin the motor. Now, I have owned an '06 and an '07 WR450 and never had a single problem with using the starter when cold unless the battery was low. Aren't these motors basically the same from way back in '04 or something?

Is the dealer nuts or is there something to this?

He's talking bollocks (as alot of people seem to do with regards to the starter motor)

The engine and motor are the same as the previous generations of WR

I have an 08 with over 400 hrs (7000miles) on it and I only ever use the button, hot or cold, and its still going strong

Don't labour it - use the starter in short bursts (2 secs max)

If the starter won't turn the engine over coz you've stalled it just past when the auto decomp closes, rock the bike backwards in gear to move the piston bore the bore and try again - don't keep trying to get the starter motor to turn the engine over coz that will wreck it

Edited by GuyGraham

You sure he didn't mean when the temp is cold? I've read a lot about how the starter doesn't really like to work when it drops below around 50F

Pretty sure he meant the first time starting for the day regardless of the temp outside.

He's talking bollocks (as alot of people seem to do ith regards to the starter motor)

The engine and motor are the same as the previous generations of WR

I have an 08 with over 400 hrs (7000miles) on it and I only ever use the button, hot or cold, and its still going strong

Don't labour it - use the starter in short bursts (2 secs max)

If the starter won't turn the engine over coz you've stalled it just past when the auto decomp closes, rock the bike backwards in gear to move the piston bore the bore and try again - don't keep trying to get the starter motor to turn the engine over coz that will wreck it

This is exactly what I thought, but wasn't sure if something had changed.  I've also had the issue on my '06 and '07 with the starter not strong enough to turn it over just before TDC. I'll either rock it or kick it to get it past that point and then the starter works fine.

If the starter turns it over normally, use it, cold or warm.  A friend bought a new WR450 last year and believed some BS from the dealer that said to never use the e start unless absolutely necessary.  I bought an '09 last year and have probably kick started it 3 times.  

What a crock! Why buy a bike with a starter if you're never going to use it. I'm sure Yamaha didn't design it to never be used.

My bike was hard to start on the button when cold, it wouldn't turn over quick enough and doing this for too long would probably stress something electrical eventually.  Kick starting was reliable first or second kick.  Button worked fine when warmed up.

I put an SSB Powersports lithium battery in and now it fires up quick and easy on the button cold or hot. Saved a fair amount of weight too, which was the primary reason for putting it in.  Worthwhile upgrade IMO.