HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DannyChaos

WR400 stalls if you so much as think about toughing throttle

13 posts in this topic

Picked this bike up over the winter and started stockpiling parts for a little spring mini build.

Installed the Hotcams autodecomp exhaust cam and did a full valve adjustment while I was in there.With everything back in spec I rolled the motor over a few times to make sure I was in the clear and put her back together.

Now the bike fires up first kick,no choke and holds a normal idle. Its when you try to give it any gas at all that is stalls out.

I'm wondering if I may be a tooth off on that exhaust cam.

Any info would a and I thank you guys in advance.

Dan

Edited by DannyChaos

Anything's possible. Haven't been in the carb yet on this bike,guess that's next.

Thanks for the advice

start with the acc. pump before you do anything else to it.  that's more than likely the culprit!!

The apump does not have affect unless the throttle is turning fast.

Slow throttle won't even activate the apump

The bike will start and run without a main jet or needle, until you turn the throttle

More probably, the main jet is plugged, or there's water bobbing around in the bottom of the bowl.  Water will not pass through a jet, and may not be deep enough to get to the pilot.   The jet needle dropping into the jet because of a disengaged clip will do the same thing. 

1 person likes this

Like KoolAid and grayracer said. Either scenario will prevent the bike from running when opening the throttle. One tooth off on the cam timing shouldn't have enough effect to prevent the throttle from being opened. It might cause other issues, but not that one.

Thanks for the quick responses guys. Life came up and prevented me from being able to wrench on her. Some free time this week, so I will go through the carb real good and make sure everything is as it should be. I did pull it and popped the bowl off figuring I would find some sludge or dirt. To my surprise it was spotless? I'll keep you guys posted and again, Thank you

Alright. Carb cleaned and it definitely helped. Starts very easy, holds a pretty normal idle. Now it has the notorious off idle bog and hangs up in the rpms a bit. This is currently 1 of 6 bikes I own, the only one with a single carb besides my xr50 and the only one I'm having problems with lol.