HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mtrain730

Mineral spirits too clean air filter

11 posts in this topic

So just cleaned my filter for the first time after switching too bel ray filter oil. I put the filter in a plastic container poured a couple inches of mineral spirits in put the top on shook the container around a little let it set for 5 minutes squeezed most of the mineral spirits out but didn't go crazy because i washed it in soap in water after and figured that would wash the rest out. The filter came out real clean. Is this a ok way too do it. There was a little blue tinge of filter oil on the out side edge around were the cage presses on the filter(2012 with flat filter) is that ok. I tend too over think stuff other then a little bluish tint what I assume too be a very small amount of filter oil left behind around the edge the filter is almost new looking. Thanks guys.

Edited by Mtrain730

It's fine, but don't shake the container.  Fill it with at least a half gallon of MS and use the same stuff over and over.  Wet it squeeze it out, repeat until satisfied.   When the stuff gets too dirty to use, drain it off and scrape the accumulated dirt off the bottom. 

As long as you re-oil the filter thoroughly, all the way through the foam (work it in, don't just spray it on), it won't matter that the filter did not get to be medically clean, because anything that's left will simply be trapped there by the new oil

Ok thanks gray. So I shouldn't shake it because I will be stirring the dirt up that's on the bottom I assume.

I too used MS for the first time this week via the Gray method. Happy with the results except it took two days for the filters to be fully dry.

It's fine, but don't shake the container. Fill it with at least a half gallon of MS and use the same stuff over and over. Wet it squeeze it out, repeat until satisfied. When the stuff gets too dirty to use, drain it off and scrape the accumulated dirt off the bottom.

As long as you re-oil the filter thoroughly, all the way through the foam (work it in, don't just spray it on), it won't matter that the filter did not get to be medically clean, because anything that's left will simply be trapped there by the new oil

is the soap not necessary just a good rinse?

Neither the soap nor the rinse is necessary.  But the rinse is a waste of water unless soap is used.

1 person likes this

I like to put a few inches of water in the bucket. MS will float and dirt sinks "kinda" getting trapped in the water. Great method and cheap.

1 person likes this

It's fine, but don't shake the container.  Fill it with at least a half gallon of MS and use the same stuff over and over.  Wet it squeeze it out, repeat until satisfied.   When the stuff gets too dirty to use, drain it off and scrape the accumulated dirt off the bottom. 

Is there ever a need to get rid of the old mineral spirits and where ?

Yes, eventually it will get to the point where there is so much filter oil dissolved in it that the filter elements will come out with an oily residue on them.  To an extent, this is actually OK, too, but at some point it gets to be too much.  Anyplace that does oil recycling will normally accept it, and mostly, such services are free.

It's fine, but don't shake the container. Fill it with at least a half gallon of MS and use the same stuff over and over. Wet it squeeze it out, repeat until satisfied. When the stuff gets too dirty to use, drain it off and scrape the accumulated dirt off the bottom.

weird question gray so technically if you took a clean dry filter and dropped it on the ground and got it dirty or dusty (with in reason) on the inside and out side of the filter as long as you thoroughly oil the filter the dirt should not get sucked in to the engine. The oil has that much holding power. Not that you would purposely do this but even if you have dirt on the inside of the filter the oil should hold it in place. Sorry for the dumb question. Edited by Mtrain730

It's not a dumb question, really.  The thing about foam element filters that makes them different from the fiber mat filters ("paper") in your cars is that they have no ability to stop anything at all that is smaller than the pores in the foam from passing straight through them unless they are oiled.  It is only the oil that traps and holds the finer stuff, and in operation, the oil and dirt come together only when the dirt strikes an oily strand of foam as it tries to wiggle through the foam.  If that will hold it, pouring oil over the dirt in an otherwise dry foam filter certainly should keep it from going any place. 

As you say, that practice you describe would hardly be advisable, but neither does it make sense to concern yourself that there might be a tiny amount of dirt left in a filter before you oil it.

1 person likes this