Steering issue on 2006 yz450f, need help

So I went to take my bike out today and i noticed thesteering to be kindove jerky. I got the front wheel off the ground pushed the steering from lock to lock and it is not smooth and little bit resistant. The manual says to play with the ring nut or inspect the bearings. hoping for a little more detailed advice. much appreciated! do I need to grease the bearings? What do I need to know before taking it apart ? Thanks!

So I went to take my bike out today and i noticed thesteering to be kindove jerky. I got the front wheel off the ground pushed the steering from lock to lock and it is not smooth and little bit resistant. The manual says to play with the ring nut or inspect the bearings. hoping for a little more detailed advice. much appreciated! do I need to grease the bearings? What do I need to know before taking it apart ? Thanks!

Yes they need grease, but may be falling apart.

You truly need to take it apart.

Maybe time for new bearings and races.

Am I ok to go for a ride this weekend before changing them?

Am I ok to go for a ride this weekend before changing them?

Ever see pics of bikes broken in half?

Ever see pics of bikes broken in half?

Ok well no need to be a prick I was just asking

Ok well no need to be a prick I was just asking

they can break steering stem if bearings aren't tight enough.

I'd truly hate to see it happen to anyone.

Best if you can take the time and check it out, grease it at least.

Make sure to check your wheel bearings to. They might be to weird steering your feeling

Changed Bearings and races. Bit of a job. Lots of useful tips on youtube about doing it without any fancy presses and pullers.