YZdaddy, in the High Plains region (Lubbock)...

YZdaddy, in the High Plains region (Lubbock)...

Theres a guy that rode with us a few weeks ago that moved in my area from Lubbock. His name was Mark but cant remember his last name. He was a smaller guy said he rode around Lubbock area.

Ok so the last few rides my 11 has developed a backfiring issue on shut down... I've cleaned the throttle body, injector, fuel pump, new plug, new exhaust gasket, checked for air leaks at intake boots, repacked exhaust, switch gas I'm using and then went to race gas, valves are in spec, all to no avail. The only other thing I have heard is a lean condition at idle which a dealer would need to remap... Has anyone else had their efi yami backfire???

My stock 13 back fires all the time whenever I'm not on the throttle say going down a hill. And I had mine re mapped to factory just as a cya.

I haven't had any issue with backfiring. I am now getting an issue with my 11 hesitating and breaking up, seems to only do it when first riding around.

I went down Saturday and the shroud caught the ground. Ended up destroying the radiator. I cannot say whether it is just because the larger front intakes or it would have happened on any bike.

Edited by JLB943

Does your 11 have a choke? Because mine this that too, and I had the choke running

To be clear, the "choke" on EFI YZ's is not a choke.  Neither is the one on an FCR carb, BTW, but that at least does enrich the mixture.  The cold start knob on the EFI models doesn't make the fuel mix any richer at all; the unit does that on its own based on input from the coolant sensor.  The only thing the cold start knob does on the EFI bikes is open up more idle air, pretty much exactly the same as if you just turned the idle up some.

My stock 13 back fires all the time whenever I'm not on the throttle say going down a hill. And I had mine re mapped to factory just as a cya.

Mine has only backfired a few times since I bought it and it gets beat on every other day

Just as a gee-wiz to what gray said, I had my 2011 YZ450 throttle body off this weekend and discovered that at idle, the butterfly is completely closed. Zero air gets past it for idle except that which goes through the idle adjust circuit. Gee-wiz.

Ahhh I was wonder what that knob was!!! I was like why in the he** would they have a choke on a fi bike! That totally makes a lot more sense then a choke lol. Plus I never bothered to look it up in the owners manual.

I never bothered to look it up in the owners manual.

:facepalm:

Step one:  "RTFM" 

Lol yep

I have found a yz450f-13 with 90h on it for a great prize.

Is the newer yamis as reliable as the older ones? Or is it a ticking bomb?

Yamaha = solid