HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
danzick

2010 yz450 clutch problems

6 posts in this topic

my 2010 yz450f is doing some strange things. When I start the bike up cold, and ride it a little the clutch is fine. After it warms up and I ride it pretty hard, the clutch feels halfway engaged. If I wasnt holding onto the bike, it would take off without me while holding the clutch lever in. Its bad enough to the point that It will die if I stop while in gear and the lever pulled in.BUT, when I give it some throttle, its totally fine. you can feel the bike jerk back and doesn't feel half engaged anymore. As soon as you let off the throttle, the bike starts pulling forward again and wants to die. You cant even find neutral with it running because its grabbing so hard.

Oh, and I can tighten the play up on the lever until It feels uncomfortably tight, and it makes no difference. all of the symptoms I have described are with the bike idling at a stop, in gear with the clutch lever pulled in.

Edited by danzick

Original plates, or aftermarket?  I'd say pull them out and have a look at them for flatness, dishing, etc.

I pulled them not too long ago, and the frictions looked almost brand new according to a pair of calipers. I did not have a flat spot to check the plates at that time. When the bike is cold it works like normal. it will idle great in gear. It only does it after I have it warmed up. oh, and I saw in a thread I searched for earlier that groves in the basket can cause this also, but the basket looked great. no groves in the sides.

Edited by danzick

I pulled them not too long ago, and the frictions looked almost brand new according to a pair of calipers. I did not have a flat spot to check the plates at that time. When the bike is cold it works like normal. it will idle great in gear. It only does it after I have it warmed up. oh, and I saw in a thread I searched for earlier that groves in the basket can cause this also, but the basket looked great. no groves in the sides.

They did upgrade the clutch actuator arm in 2011, don't know if that has something to do with it.

I remember some guys talking about having to adjust mid moto because of clutch fade on the 10, May be unrelated though.

Edited by VetRacer75

thanks for the info. I pulled the clutch apart again last night. steel's looked pretty flat when I set them on a granite block. Upon further inspection the basket did have some grooves in the side. I pulled it out and filed them down. I will hopefully ride it soon and report back. on and Im running yamalube 20W50 semi-synthetic.

Hey OP, I am having the EXACT same problem with my 2010 yz450f... Was it the clutch basket that was the issue?