'12+ WR450 FI Diagnostics Tool Rental Info Here (Tucson AZ)

I have a FI Diagnostics Tool for Yam '12+ WR450's for rent.

 

You probably already know if you need to use one of there to set the CO level on your cycle.

 

If not, then here's a helpful thread:

 

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1067634-12-wr450-fi-diagnostics-tool-pn-and-connections-info-here/

 

So, here's the deal:

 

I'm in Tucson, AZ.

 

I have one I'll rent for $20/week (7 days/wk), $15 each additional week (7 days/wk) after that, to a max of 3 weeks. After three weeks (21 days total), you've bought it and forfit the entire deposit, or you give me a *really* good reason you're late, and it's *up to me* to say yay or nay regarding deposit forfeit. Absolutely No Whining.

 

$350.00 is the paypal deposit before it ships.

 

You pay shipping both ways.

 

The deposit is high because of the PITA it was to get this tool to begin with, the shipping from India was $50.00, and it was more PITA to get it wired to work correctly. Now it works fine.

 

I refund the deposit minus rental charges, and minus shipping, upon it's return *in working order*.

 

If I test it and it no longer works, you bought it and I ship it back to you. I keep the remainder of the deposit.

 

Rental begins when you receive it, date confirmed via tracking. Rental ends when I receive it back.

 

Feedback occurs here, on this forum.

 

Requests for rental are first come, first served, via PM to me. Do not attempt to queue up or make a request via posting here. Valid requests come only via PM to me.

 

Sending me a PM put's you in the queue. Sending me the deposit keeps you there. You have 3 days to send me the deposit, otherwise I take your name off, and you lose your position in the queue.

 

I'll notify via this forum when it's out on rental, and when its available again. I'm not going to post the rental queue (whose got it where and how long). Thats just too much like work.

 

It will be tested / re-tested each time I get it back / before it goes out again. It will never ship untested, or broken. Guaranteed (it's the only guarantee I'm willing to make).

 

If you guys are agreeable to all this, then I'll make mine available beginning last week of May.

This is great!

 

I have sent mebgardner the deposit and he is to ship me the tool on May 21. I will post feedback here about how it all works out, but I am optimistic. I have been trying to get guys to do this for months!

Woods is 1st in queue.

 

I'm assuming two weeks turnaround, so next available position opens approx June 4th.

270Win is next in queue, when deposit received (within 3 days).

 

That makes the next position available around mid-June.

270Win is next in queue, when deposit received (within 3 days).

 

That makes the next position available around mid-June.

 

270Win has bowed out. Next position is again approx. June 4th.

Please, I'm asking you to *please* make this easy for all of us. If you want a spot, if you can wait, then just send the deposit and you'll have a spot.  If your spot in queue does not work out for any reason, you get your entire deposit back.

 

I'll be back in about a week or a little longer. Until then, just sign up, leave a deposit, and it'll be first come first served.

Mr. Carter is next in queue. Thanks very much, perfect.

Shipped today to Woods.

 

Woods is 1st in queue.

 

I'm assuming two weeks turnaround, so next available position opens approx June 4th.

Got the tool!

I got the tool a day early since mebegardner shipped it one day early and didn't start my "rental clock" until the day after which was great!

 

The tool is very easy to use and he sent very detailed instructions on how to use it. Absolutely zero confusion. I initially set my CO to 7 after reading on here and thought that would be a good place to start. I rode it around my house a bit to test it out and honestly couldn't really tell a difference, but I only have just over a half acre to ride on so it wasn't a very good testing ground.

 

A few days later I went for a true ride that had everything from flowing double track, some rocky truck trails and some very steep technical singletrack. The temperature was in the low 60s and the elevation ranged from about 1300' to 2500'. About my bike. It's a 2012 (purchased new in Aug 2013) with around 60 hrs on it. I have an FMF Powercore 4 muffler and comp ECU with the FMF map and snorkel removed from the airbox. I also made sure to have a clean air filter to eliminate that variable.

 

I started out with CO at 7. Cold starting was easy enough, but it wasn't that cold out (62*F).

 

After the first couple miles I killed the engine with the button and waited for my brother to catch up. After about 2 minutes I tried to start it with the button in gear and it was a no go. So, I pulled the tool out of my pack and set the CO to 10. This took another 5-10 min before I attempted to start the bike and it started on the second try. Not great, but not bad.

 

After a few more miles I stopped to wait again. This time I stalled it intentionally. I tried to start it back up immediately and no dice. 5 or 6 tries and it was time to pull out the tool again. I set it to 8 thinking that maybe the bad starting at the 7 setting was a fluke.

 

This time we rode for about 10 miles without killing it. After the 10 miles I killed it with the button and tried to start it back up. Still a lot of hesitation and it didn't fire after a hand full of tries. This time I took the setting down to 5.

 

I stuck with this setting of 5 for the next 20 miles with about a dozen kills and starts. It was starting OK, but not as well as it did with the stock setting of 0. I was just tired of messing with it.

 

After those 20 miles I changed the setting to 2. The starting was immediately better. It would even start after a stall, not that quickly, but it would start. I am not sure if it's any better than the 0 setting and I never did try negative numbers. This is just so much different than what I have read on here.

 

My bike had always started OK in the past, just didn't like to start when it was cold (below 40*F) or when it was stalled. I was hoping this tool would remedy that. I probably won't get the chance to test the below 40*F for a while, but everything else certainly seemed worse the farther from 0 I got.

 

Does anyone have any thoughts?

 

mebegardner has graciously extended my "week" rental for a few more days to allow me time to dig into this issue and see if I can come up with an answer.

Well, I shipped the tool back today with 2 day priority mail so the next guy in line should be getting it in about a week or so I would guess.

 

I ended up leaving my CO set to 2. Not sure why I didn't have similar results as most others by setting my CO closer to 10.

Well, I shipped the tool back today with 2 day priority mail so the next guy in line should be getting it in about a week or so I would guess.

 

I ended up leaving my CO set to 2. Not sure why I didn't have similar results as most others by setting my CO closer to 10.

Without knowing the actual CO levels (found by using an EGA meter) before/after making changes, there is no way to tell. I can't believe your local dealer does not have the proper tools to make this simple change for you.

Tool is back in house, has passed intake tests, and is shipping next to Dr. Dan.

Tool has shipped to Dr Dan in Bozeman, MT.

I'm adding some info here, as I get smarter about this business:

 

I see that paypal did not charge any fees on an "e-check", but did charge what I considered to be high fees ($10 on a 350 inbound transaction) on a "straight" transaction.

 

I recommend you make deposit payments via paypal by "e-check".  Paypal fees are paid by the tool renter.

 

 

Also:

 

USPS will be the "default" shipping method, unless a different method is requested (or required).

 

That's $6.50 or thereabouts, instead of $14.00 or thereabouts (recent FedEx charge).  You get the savings, and likely takes about the same time to ship it to you.

Tool has shipped to Dr Dan in Bozeman, MT.

 

Tool is back in-house, and ready for next rental.

 

It's available to ship today with your deposit.

I received the "tool" on June 5 and set it up according to Bob's amazingly good directions; step by step, no problem. Set the CO to 8, disconnected the tool and the bike seemed to start easier. Unlike Woods I did not keep the tool longer and do test rides; it would seem that option is best for those setting their CO level in the future. I have started/ridden/stalled the bike numerous times over the last 10 days and I really can not say it starts easier. The total cost from my end was $63.85, which included rental, PayPal fees, shipping both ways. It was worth the cost regardless of the result because I would really like to find a lasting solution to the starting problem. I may try it again in the future, but will definately do some test rides. My riding altitude is 4500 ft+ but I doubt that was an influence.

 

Dan

Nevermind

Edited by funt

Thanks, Dan.

 

We can cut future costs two ways:

 

1) Send me an eCheck via paypay. Woods did that, and I noticed paypal did not charge us any fees.

2) Use USPS. I did Fedex for Dan, and it doubled the shipping fees. (I did not know this beforehand...)

 

I think we could have gotten costs down to about $40.00, if we had done those two things.  Sorry 'bout that, but now I know...

Thanks, Dan.

We can cut future costs two ways:

1) Send me an eCheck via paypay. Woods did that, and I noticed paypal did not charge us any fees...

Actually, I was charged $10 in fees when you sent the money back FYI.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now