HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
G-BRO

04 450 Carb

5 posts in this topic

I posted a while back that my buddies 450 carb is in trouble. The tip of the fuel screw broke off and is lodged in the carb. I've tried to get the tip out with little luck so far. I've used a 90 degree pick and a safety pin to try and push the tip back down through the hole from the carb throat side. We have been very delicate as to not scar or distort the taper/shape of the hole.

With little luck so far I'm down to two more ideas

1- Use this carb for spare parts and buy another used one on EBay or something.

2- Disassemble the carb from the mid-body so I can get a straight shot and better visibility of the hole.

My question is, I've been told taking the mid-body apart is carb suicide because the gasket is nearly impossible to find. However, it looks like JD Jetting makes this replacement gasket for this carb. If I get the tip out and replace this gasket with a new one do I stand a chance of saving this thing? Any suggestions?

Yes.  Get the gasket first, though.  Of course in this case that caution isn't really so important, is it? 

You may need a "security Torx" bit to remove the screws. 

Thanks Gray. Assuming I can just pick a security torx up at a hardware star? Ebay the best bet for a used carb if this doesn't work?

Thanks Gray. Assuming I can just pick a security torx up at a hardware star? Ebay the best bet for a used carb if this doesn't work?

"wherever fine tools are sold" ;)

If it comes down to a new one, try for an '05 or later.  Subtle upgrades there.