New to dirtbikes and new to the '02 Wr426.

Yes, I am a newbie, already you way more than me in the dirtbike thumper world. So I will play the charector that asks really dumb questions that you will smack your head with you hand for a few months.

First, I love Yamaha! My humble opinion is the 1975-78 XS650 is my all time favorite bike. But been wanting a dirtbike from some time now and the wife finally said yes. But I have a questions for the group, because I do not have a manual for the '02 Wr426f.

1. How many quarts does my bike take of oil? Shell Rotella or Mobil1 full synthetic good for it?

2 Link to easily adjust the valves or a 'how to' page. I probably should do this regardless.

Any helpful suggestions related to maintenance of the bike is always appreciated.

welcome to the club. I have an 02 as well and it is a hell of a bike, do a search and look for free mods if is not done already. I have not clipped the grey wire on mine yet. It puts a grin on my chin the way it is now and when I am comfortable with my riding ability I will open it up all the way .

Oil capacity is 1.37 quarts without filter change

1.48 with filter change

I always use rotella syn.

Edited by 67imp

Thanks, I really appreciate it. I also need to get comfortable to this monster.

Anyone have any suggestions on a quiet neighborhood exhaust? I certain in just a manner of time my neighbors will want to hang me by my toes everytime I start the bike up. I feel such an @$$ho7e when I get it running to warm up before I take off.

Thanks, I really appreciate it. I also need to get comfortable to this monster.

Anyone have any suggestions on a quiet neighborhood exhaust? I certain in just a manner of time my neighbors will want to hang me by my toes everytime I start the bike up. I feel such an @$$ho7e when I get it running to warm up before I take off.

The silencer probably just needs to be re-packed.  Get yourself some new packing, and a rivet gun (I assume you have a drill to drill out the old rivets).

Welcome aboard!

We can take turns asking the newbie questions. I've had mine for a couple of months..

The manual is available on-line, you just have to deal with all the extra pages in languages like german and Spanish. Someone will post a link.

Enjoy the bike!

What is the easiest and quickest trick to getting the bikes running? My buddies can get it running in a snap, me; not so lucky.

Assuming you're asking how to start it the fastest, here is my drill:

Fuel on, choke on, twist throttle 2-3 times (these bikes need a spurt of fuel), kick thru to find the hard spot using the decomp. lever, release decomp, let kickstarter back up, then kick it like a mule (dont overextend your leg because sometimes the mule kicks back)

(no throttle when kicking)

Should start or hit on 1-2 kicks.  

Let it run on choke for 30-60 seconds, turn off choke and ride it till it gets all the way warmed up.

Edited by XRcaveman

Cool and I will try this when I get home. I really appreciate everyone help with this bike. Awesome help for a newbie to dirtbikes/enduros.

Know where I can get the rubber gasket ring in the bottom of the petcock at other than the stealership?