HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
underground-mpyre

New to dirtbikes and new to the '02 Wr426.

9 posts in this topic

Yes, I am a newbie, already you way more than me in the dirtbike thumper world. So I will play the charector that asks really dumb questions that you will smack your head with you hand for a few months.

First, I love Yamaha! My humble opinion is the 1975-78 XS650 is my all time favorite bike. But been wanting a dirtbike from some time now and the wife finally said yes. But I have a questions for the group, because I do not have a manual for the '02 Wr426f.

1. How many quarts does my bike take of oil? Shell Rotella or Mobil1 full synthetic good for it?

2 Link to easily adjust the valves or a 'how to' page. I probably should do this regardless.

Any helpful suggestions related to maintenance of the bike is always appreciated.

welcome to the club. I have an 02 as well and it is a hell of a bike, do a search and look for free mods if is not done already. I have not clipped the grey wire on mine yet. It puts a grin on my chin the way it is now and when I am comfortable with my riding ability I will open it up all the way .

Oil capacity is 1.37 quarts without filter change

1.48 with filter change

I always use rotella syn.

Edited by 67imp

Thanks, I really appreciate it. I also need to get comfortable to this monster.

Anyone have any suggestions on a quiet neighborhood exhaust? I certain in just a manner of time my neighbors will want to hang me by my toes everytime I start the bike up. I feel such an @$$ho7e when I get it running to warm up before I take off.

Thanks, I really appreciate it. I also need to get comfortable to this monster.

Anyone have any suggestions on a quiet neighborhood exhaust? I certain in just a manner of time my neighbors will want to hang me by my toes everytime I start the bike up. I feel such an @$$ho7e when I get it running to warm up before I take off.

The silencer probably just needs to be re-packed.  Get yourself some new packing, and a rivet gun (I assume you have a drill to drill out the old rivets).

Welcome aboard!

We can take turns asking the newbie questions. I've had mine for a couple of months..

The manual is available on-line, you just have to deal with all the extra pages in languages like german and Spanish. Someone will post a link.

Enjoy the bike!

What is the easiest and quickest trick to getting the bikes running? My buddies can get it running in a snap, me; not so lucky.

Assuming you're asking how to start it the fastest, here is my drill:

Fuel on, choke on, twist throttle 2-3 times (these bikes need a spurt of fuel), kick thru to find the hard spot using the decomp. lever, release decomp, let kickstarter back up, then kick it like a mule (dont overextend your leg because sometimes the mule kicks back)

(no throttle when kicking)

Should start or hit on 1-2 kicks.  

Let it run on choke for 30-60 seconds, turn off choke and ride it till it gets all the way warmed up.

Edited by XRcaveman

Cool and I will try this when I get home. I really appreciate everyone help with this bike. Awesome help for a newbie to dirtbikes/enduros.

Know where I can get the rubber gasket ring in the bottom of the petcock at other than the stealership?