YZ450F strange noise?

Hi!

Recently I bought a 07 YZ450F, low hours seems to me!

Very good condition, just looks like new.

The engine was very quiet and silent, the previous owner barely ride that bike. He even gave me the gaskets and everything that came with the bike when new.

Well, I have about 10 hours on the bike now, and a strange noise coming from the motor appeared!

It's like a knocking or rattling, and it's becoming more and more loud.

My cam chain tensor isn't in great shape, seems to me. I'm thinking in replacing the cam chain and the tensor. What do you guys think that can be? I'm afraid that something is gonna break :(

Hi!

Recently I bought a 07 YZ450F, low hours seems to me!

Very good condition, just looks like new.

The engine was very quiet and silent, the previous owner barely ride that bike. He even gave me the gaskets and everything that came with the bike when new.

Well, I have about 10 hours on the bike now, and a strange noise coming from the motor appeared!

It's like a knocking or rattling, and it's becoming more and more loud.

My cam chain tensor isn't in great shape, seems to me. I'm thinking in replacing the cam chain and the tensor. What do you guys think that can be? I'm afraid that something is gonna break :(

May b your drive chain loosening up and slapping swing arm.

Hell the fact the engine was quiet would concern me. Mine sounds like chitty chitty bang bang.

Hell the fact the engine was quiet would concern me. Mine sounds like chitty chitty bang bang.

Thumpers lol

In fact! It was quiet!

That's my concern.

I'm gonna buy a cam chain and a tensor. Let's see if the tok noise will stop.

May b your drive chain loosening up and slapping swing arm.

I don't think so.

Re ajusted chain yesterday..,

The noise comes from engine itself.

Here's a video:

http://youtu.be/TkQEWTjt5S0

Pretty hard to tell from vid. Almost sounds like exhaust leak at the header? You could use a long screwdriver or dowel like a stethoscope to try and pin point the culpret.

Pretty hard to tell from vid. Almost sounds like exhaust leak at the header? You could use a long screwdriver or dowel like a stethoscope to try and pin point the culpret.

Exhaust leak? We'll I changed the exhaust.

Full Akrapovic exhaust...

I haven't done my YZ but I just redid the head on my daughter's KFX. The cam chain was very stretched and made a very loud ticking sound. I can't tell from your video of it's more of a tick or a knock.

Edited by nucular

Ok, but thank you anyway!

Here's another video, hope you guys can understand the noise:

http://youtu.be/OKohxR6dgV4

Sounds like the cam chain to me

Yeah I hope so! Next week I will replace it.

Try pulling the clutch in while it's idling and see how that affects it. Gearbox rattle is normal.

I had a 2008 YZ450 that had the gear box rattle, went away in I pulled in the clutch. Never had an issue with it. Sounds similar to mine.

Sounds just like my 06...

'S what I'm saying. 

Try pulling the clutch in while it's idling and see how that affects it. Gearbox rattle is normal.

I've tried that. The rattles stop but the knocking noise continues! i'm freankin out with this.

I had a 2008 YZ450 that had the gear box rattle, went away in I pulled in the clutch. Never had an issue with it. Sounds similar to mine.

it´s not gear box rattle I believe. Here in my country (Portugal), Yamaha doesn´t have cam chains in stock (wtf?), I´ll just have to wait.

Do you guys think that ridding my bike while making this noise will be a bad ideia?

Check to see how far in the cam chain tensioner is. If it's toward the far end, that would tell you that the chain is stretched. The procedure should be in the manual.

Someone told me that can be the rod.

Any chance? I don't think so, the bike doesn't has any wear :/

Here's another video that you guys could listen better the noise:http://youtu.be/XykhY2F-sxo

Anyone...?

I haven't changed the cam chain yet.

As a mater of fact, the cam chain on this bike was never replaced.