California Red Sticker / Green Sticker ?!#@$^*&%$#

I just bought a WR450 and to my surprize I'm going to have a Red Sticker. I thought Red Stickers were for two strokes. The dealer said if the 8th letter in the VIN # is a 3 or C then you get a Red Sticker.

I've been away from the sport for around 8 years (kids) and am now getting back into it with my whole family. I'm really surprized by the Red Sticker. They use to not want us to ride during the wet season because we eroded the trail. Now they want us to ride in the winter because of smog.

This is outragous. These CARB people are the same ones who didn't see the significance of MTBE being water soluable. And are there really enough dirt bikes to really effect smog. I think an ounce of ethanol per refill would go farther in improving smog. Especially for the freeway crowd.

O'well I guess its back to battling the government to get our fair share of ride time and space. Off road riding is an educational and wholesome sport. I don't think we should allow people to deamonize it. I can't think of a better way to explore nature and experience it. It would take days/weeks to walk through the forest, and still not see what an off roader sees on a typical ride.

?

I'm with you. It really pisses me off. They are so shortsighted. I can buy an older 2 stroke and still ride. It seems silly that a brand new bike would be stickered. Did they take into account the areas we are supposed to be causing smog? Let me ask you this, will you stop riding during those months? No, not me. I will either end up with an older bike that pollutes more and is green stickered, or ride somewhere not on the list. Either way the law helps nothing.

Hey I just bought a new 2002 wr426. the dmv here in napa,Calif. told me the same thing about the 8 digit in the vin#. That is wrong now they have changed the law again because nobody at the dmv anywere could keep track of who was supposed to get what sticker.So now it's 2002and older get a green sticker.2003and newer get a red sticker.Go on dmv.gov.com it tells you all about it. I know because I just went through this with our dmv. I had to take them the printout off there site and show them who got what sticker. So have fun with your dmv. depends on your year of bike. ? :thumbsup:I was just wondering if your close to napa. In northern Calif.

Thats cool were pretty close we will have to hook up sometime and go riding. There's usually 3 of us sometimes more up to about 8 or 9 of us.from new riders to a couple of crazy guys.We like to ride carnagie,praire city sometimes,forest hill is cool.Let me know one of these weekends. ? :cheers:congratulations on the new bike I love my wr426 its the most power I've ever ridden!!!!! :D

i was going to say something about us poor hicks here in the midwest but i forgot illinois is almost as bad. it's not an emission thing but if they want to put a plate on their offroad bikes, they have to go through the whole blinkers, mirrors, and brake light thing. we maybe a bit slower here in missouri but they do issue a two year plate.

Yeap.

I purchased the 2002 yz426 new at the dealer in October 01. They told me it was red sticker based on the vin#, however the WR model was exempt and was green year round. Low and Behold I recieved that damn red sticker in the mail a few weeks later. Then a week after that I recieved a green sticker for the same bike good till 2002, Huh???? ?

Which one do you think I installed? Yata Hey Chief wooden Head I say the the DMV. I do a lot of business with the DMV a fleet of 130 trucks. One day I was in a local office to pay the registration and I get nailed to a cross because my bike vin popped up RED Flagged. The brainchild on the other side of the counter is ranting and raving about how they messed up and I should not have recieved this green sticker. Man Im screwed now.

Well June 2002 aproaches I recieve another Green Sticker good till June 2004. This time, it doesnt suck to be me.

Now, My causin just a 04 WR450. Every kind of smog restrictin gadget known to man, it doesnt pass the restrction requirements. SLAP that red sticker on her.

What the hell is going on?

If you ride in the California Bay Area, please explain something. Go to Hollister Hills, Carnegie, Frank Rains, Clear Creek, Metcalf etc. Most are Packed with riders from sun up Saturday to sun down Sunday. I mean there are moms bringing their kids out to ride without the father present. The sport is growing like Mad. Our Parks are shrinking laws and regulations are increasing, and what the hell are we doing about it....................

We need to start paying attention and speak up! Our words need to become our actions.

Enough Said

Yes, the DMV website will explain what bike gets what sticker....but it fails to explain the logic.

Let's see, my brother's 10 yr old, fire breathing, oil spewing 2-stroke is less of an emissions problem than my new WR450? Riiiiiiight. CA lawmakers need to pull their heads out (again) ?

Let's see, my brother's 10 yr old, fire breathing, oil spewing 2-stroke is less of an emissions problem than my new WR450? Riiiiiiight. CA lawmakers need to pull their heads out (again) ?

You must be talking about my '90 KX500. Guess what's getting dual sported since the state has put the brakes on dual sporting dirt bikes? My '90 KX500:) Got the paperwork started over the xmas holiday.

Brian

• 2 weeks later...

Hey your right!!!! And NOW they have a sound thing going on at some of the riding areas..I undersatnd that. except.. the other day I was adjusting my idle on my Bike ( CRF450R '04 ) I could not hear it, since I have a neighbor who owns a Harley and the young kid accross the street has a monster stereo system. So why wont DMV do a decible test on these areas and leave us Dirt Bikers alone!!