HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

mc1hd

2012 WR450 Low Fuel Light Problem

8 posts in this topic

After removing the headlight,computer and relocating the ignition button the low fuel light stays on full time.  Have been riding this way for some time and not experienced a problem other than not knowing how much fuel is left.  Looking at the wiring diagram not sure what could be done to fix the problem.  Maybe a resistor or a jumper but not smart enough to know how to go about it.  I know a clear tank would solve the problem (I have a ims but prefer the stock tank feel).  Help much appreciated.

It sounds like a bad sender to me.  Or there is a short to ground on the sender wire or the wire going from the ECU to the ignition button.  I removed my computer.  Didn't remove the headlight but I don't think that would matter.  I think if there's a short to ground, the light will stay lit if you unplug the sender.  If it goes out, the sender is probably faulty. 

Edited by funt

Seems like I am not the only person that has experienced this problem, another member Corkster had same issue.  After he re-installed the computer and engine fault light everything went back to normal.  So if I understand what you are saying funt I should try unpluging the fuel sender while ignition is on and if it stays lit I should have a short somewhere.  I would think the fuel sender is operating correctly since the bike starts and runs perfect, will try what you described and also reinstall the engine fault light and see what happens.

Edited by mc1hd

Problem solved, should have gone with my first thought of it being resistor related.  There is a ceramic 10w 68ohm resistor mounted to the odometer bracket on the left hand side of the cluster, one wire goes to to the main switch and the other back to ground.  Once pluged back in fuel light operates normally. 

Cool. I still have the bracket on mine.  That's good info, maybe I should take the bracket off.

Main reason for removing the headlight and odo for me as I do not use them, installed a yz number plate and put the other parts in a box for when I sell it. 

Problem solved, should have gone with my first thought of it being resistor related.  There is a ceramic 10w 68ohm resistor mounted to the odometer bracket on the left hand side of the cluster, one wire goes to to the main switch and the other back to ground.  Once pluged back in fuel light operates normally. 

Great find - thanks for this one!

I have the same problem the low level light stays on an never goes out filled it to the neck an still stays on had a look at the wiring under tank all clean an plugged in