Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
YamaGeek

Lights On

12 posts in this topic

Is it just me or does anyone else notice their bike stalling easier, and harder to start with the lights on. Makes sense that the extra electrical load would make it so. :)

Strange. I honestly haven't noticed a difference.

Me neither... But now that you mention it I'll be looking out for it.

Dan

It shouldn't make much difference as the light circuit is isolated from the starter circuit by the rectifier, thus drawing no current from the battery.

It is very obvious when you ride around just above the idle point in first gear. The power loss can be felt. Beyond that there is little to notice. :)

I've thought about it and experimented and found no diff. I do like to leave mine off just so it lasts longer. :)

I've thought about it and experimented and found no diff. I do like to leave mine off just so it lasts longer. :)

I have a light switch and haven't noticed any diff.

f9e745ba.jpg

f9e745d7.jpg

I notice it most, of course, in the slow technical stuff, lugging. The stalls are more frequent. Its like it stalls quicker, just a split second before I go to grab the clutch for feather. I can't tell any difference on open sutff. I now tend to turn it off in the slow stuff and only use it when dark of course and when the trails are crowded to help with visibility. I also find myself turning it off when I'm kick starting because I "believe" it is easier to start.

One of those things you'd never be able to prove I supose. Just a feel/perception.

Nothing to prove. The enegry generated is not free. The electrical load places a small "resistive" drag on the crank rotation. IE. it take some HP to make electricity. It is not free! :)

Indy is right. If it were free we would have solved the Energy problems for the universe. I have noticed a big difference when the battery is weak.

5spoke whos dual spoke kit is that? Looks good.