Engine Cut Out Traversing Water

Had the 450 out for a ride yesterday and had to do a number of water crossings, depth from 6 to 18 inches, not too deep at all. On the very first crossing I noticed the engine begin to sputter right before it would die, I was able to get it fired up shortly after and continue on. Definitely not airbox  intrusion, checked that as soon as I cleared the water plus water was not near deep enough for that to happen. Seemed to be electrical in nature, as I continued to make further crossings if I kept the engine revs high it was not really an issue.

Has anyone seen this before? I'm stumped as to what the cause could be any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Bike is a 2004, added a trip computer last year with RPM, water temp,etc...

Take ONE of the carb vent hoses and run it up under the seat.   Hang the end in the airbox intake.

On these bikes if all of the vent hoses are covered by water the engine will stop.   Running one of

them up high solves the problem.

Take ONE of the carb vent hoses and run it up under the seat.   Hang the end in the airbox intake.

On these bikes if all of the vent hoses are covered by water the engine will stop.   Running one of

them up high solves the problem.

Thanks very much, will do that tomorrow, I'm sure that's the culprit.