Coolant - Just need some straight up answers

I've freakin googled this to death. everybody says something different. What kind of coolant/antifreeze do i need for my 99 yz400f? The stuff thats in there is green thats all i know. Will regular old autozone green coolant work? do i mix  it 50/50 with water or not? TALK TO ME LIKE IM AN IDIOT, AND TELL ME EXACTLY WHAT TO DO LOL. I wanna flush the coolant before summer hits. Thank you!

I use five year orange stuff. If you ride like a normal person a 50/50 mixture should be good.

I don't ride like a normal person so the more anti freeze you put in the ratio the less chance for boil over. I run it straight and have no boil over. The draw back they say is the more anti freeze in the ratio the hotter it runs. If it does boil over real bad and doesn't have enough coolant it can warp the head.

Any reasonably good automotive coolant will work.  There are two principal types, Ethylene Glycol based (traditional green stuff), and Propylene Glycol (other colors).  Either will work fine, although PG is slightly preferable.  There is a third kind that you should never use under any circumstance other than temporarily in a dire emergency: "Dex-Cool". 

On mixing, some coolants are sold as "ready to use", and should not be diluted before using.  Those sold as straight coolants should be mixed at 50/50 with distilled water.  Water alone has the best cooling capabilities of any coolant used, but boils at only about 220 ℉ under 16 pounds of pressure.  A 50/50 EG/water mix won't boil until 265 ℉, and PG/water closer to 270 ℉ under pressure.

Any reasonably good automotive coolant will work.  There are two principal types, Ethylene Glycol based (traditional green stuff), and Propylene Glycol (other colors).  Either will work fine, although PG is slightly preferable.  There is a third kind that you should never use under any circumstance other than temporarily in a dire emergency: "Dex-Cool". 

On mixing, some coolants are sold as "ready to use", and should not be diluted before using.  Those sold as straight coolants should be mixed at 50/50 with distilled water.  Water alone has the best cooling capabilities of any coolant used, but boils at only about 220 ℉ under 16 pounds of pressure.  A 50/50 EG/water mix won't boil until 265 ℉, and PG/water closer to 270 ℉ under pressure.

Interesting, I've been using straight Dex cool ever since my 89' CR500 days. Use it in both WR450's took the 07' apart very clean looking. Never had a problem usually change it every five years. Might be the new stuff is good ?

Some opinions: https://www.google.com/search?q=dex+cool+in+motorcycles&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

We had to drain the coolant from our bikes the other week because we were competing on a race circuit. Just ran tap water but the Motocool went back in as soon as the meeting was over. For speed hill climbs the scrutineering rules don't ban coolant but they insisted we change it as the tyrack was a race circuit. As it's simple on our MX bikes I just did it rather than ask them what they do when road bikes turn up ridden to the circuit to do a track day.

i run "engine ice" brand & it works well...the dirtbike takes so little, i figure why not run the fancy stuff, it's only another $5 or so.   but yes the green stuff is fine, i use the 50/50 already mixed when i buy the green stuff

whatever you run, be sure that if it's a type you must mix water with, that you use distilled water

Edited by chevyrulz
  • Like 1