Another wr426 backfiring thread

I've messed with the carb until there's no end. It has done this since I got it last year. Maybe I'm confused. Should I open the pilot screw more until it quits (if it quits)?

The bike has an aftermarket exhaust, no known leaks.

Going to double check the timing in the morning.

Will post a video tomorrow also for better reference.

Backfiring? You mean through the carb?

...or do you mean deceleration popping out the exhaust?

It's an excess air issue

- service the hot start, choke, slide seal, carb body top seal, air boots, exhaust junctions and header crush washer

THEN adjust and tune the pilot circuit.

You will probably always get some backfire on deceleration, the nature of the beast. The type of pipe and condition will cause more or less. Not to be confused with backfire under load or backfire through the intake.

Backfiring? You mean through the carb?

...or do you mean deceleration popping out the exhaust?

It's an excess air issue

- service the hot start, choke, slide seal, carb body top seal, air boots, exhaust junctions and header crush washer

THEN adjust and tune the pilot circuit.

Is this why it is difficult to start sometimes also?

Mine backfired like a boss no matter what until i replaced the exhaust gasket on the head. Fixed it right up.

Is this why it is difficult to start sometimes also?

Just guessing, but it is hard to start warm, right? Most likely from making the pilot more rich, trying to stop the pop. A certain amount of snap, crackle, and pop is completely normal and can be a sign of a good running engine. It should not sound like gun fire.

Jetting is the key

Of course, any air leak, anywhere will negate your best jetting efforts.

The X is one of the best starting bikes out there.....if you maintain your carb and jet it properly.