HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RMBurrr

need to make my own gasket for IMS tank

6 posts in this topic

I found a used ims tank for my yz450f, but it has a leaky petcock gasket. 

Can I just grab some gasket material from the auto parts store, and trace out my old one? Is there a special material required for a fuel gasket? Should I add any kind of gasket goo?

Edited by RMBurrr

Be sure the gasket material is labeled for gasoline.  Buna N rubber compound works well. 

The only kind of sealer that I know reliably works around gasoline is Permatex No.3 "Aviation" gasket sealer, but it shouldn't be needed.

Be sure the gasket material is labeled for gasoline.  Buna N rubber compound works well. 

The only kind of sealer that I know reliably works around gasoline is Permatex No.3 "Aviation" gasket sealer, but it shouldn't be needed.

Thanks Gray

Is that 2nd gasket needed for the tank? I got a used one with the gasket dry rotted and just skipped it when I put a new pet cock on with the reserve. It hasn't leaked yet and I'm only using the gasket the oem petcock comes with.

I used cork gasket, cut one matching the shape of the petcock out of a roll.  No leaks over a year now.