Replace the Scary Stock 2012 WR450F MX51 tires.

NOoooo What I'm saying is that the MX51 makes for a scary ride were I was riding. I'm sure if it was in good dirt or a MX track were they bring in five or more types of dirt the MX51 is great.

I was told that the 18" MX32/52 will be added to the line. They just needed to get the sizes for the racers first. 

I found this in another thread, quoted from an MXA review of the MX51: "It’s at its best on harder dirt, gets worse as the soil softens up and doesn’t like loose dirt on a hard base" Does that 'loose dirt on a hard base' sound like the conditions you ride in where it's scary? Well substituting 'loose dirt' for sand, that is.

I'm about to ride a desert race in Carlsbad, NM next weekend with plenty of sand and rocky hardpack. Probably not much, if any good dirt (standard for NM). I'm on a still relatively new set of Bridgestone 403/404s that I'm running with the Tubliss setup. We will see how they do. I've had these tires on both very hard pack (like concrete covered in light dirt/gravel where no tire does well) and on sand dunes and it's not especially bad in either. This combo is worlds better than the previous Dunlop combo (stock 739 front and I forget which rear) it replaced on the hard pack. It's about the same in the sand. I've never ridden on MX51s.

I definitely say suspension setup, clicker, and sag settings are more than half the battle. Tire (and pressure) selection and rider technique make up the other parts.

I have just replaced the MX51's with an AT81 90/90-21 and 110/100-18. I have a ride planned this weekend and will report on them as soon as I'm done. The MX51's are designed to work on a track and even then are mediocre at best. The one that came on my WR450 was probably the worst front tire I have ever ridden. EVER - The best front I have ever ridden was a Dunlop 745 in 90/100-21 and that tire was simply amazing. So I'm gonna give these new AT81's the business and see what happens. If they aren't significantly better I may be finding some B-Stones on the bike after that...although, I HAVE heard from the only 2 people I know to have run them so far, that the MX52 is a huge leap forward from the 51's, but these guys are MX Track guys that I take with me off-road from time to time. Problem is they only make it in 19" for the rear...

Edited by Alstar450

I replaced my MX51/M5B setup with some Pirelli eXTra "X" rubbers. Will report back how I like them.

My buddy put a set of AT81s on his Husky WR125 and loves them. He's got a couple hard rides in some gnarly terrain and they still look like brand new. He said even in wet snotty rocks/roots/etc it was hooking up well. My MX51s are pretty fresh, but when they get worn, I'm going to try a set of AT81s as well.

Keeping an eye out for the AT81 ride report as well. I ride on everything but good dirt - mostly desert hardpack, sand, and rocks. My M403/404 combo has done well and held up better than I expected, but I'm always up for trying new tires. The Bridgestones still have plenty of life left, so it'll be a month or so for me yet. I also run Tubliss with 10 psi front and rear.

Keeping an eye out for the AT81 ride report as well. I ride on everything but good dirt - mostly desert hardpack, sand, and rocks. My M403/404 combo has done well and held up better than I expected, but I'm always up for trying new tires. The Bridgestones still have plenty of life left, so it'll be a month or so for me yet. I also run Tubliss with 10 psi front and rear.

I have been running Tubliss front and rear for about 4 years now. I had horrible experiences running the M403/404. They have good traction, but are delicate tires and get punctures easily. Since with the Tubliss system, the tires themselves hold the air a tire puncture results in a flat (this is not always the case when running tubes). I called up Jeff at Nuetech and he recommended some other "tougher" tires to avoid punctures. His most recent recommendation for me was the AT81RC. I have been running it for about 4 months (~20 hrs) and have only good things to say about it's traction and durability.

Just as a note, I typically run about 2-6 psi in the winter and 6-10 psi in the summer (15 psi if I am riding central Oregon where it's more desert-like conditions).

Edited by woods-rider

My question is regarding the compounds used in both the normal AT81 and AT81 RC. Are the compounds for the two tires identical? For me I would like a durable tire but weight is also important as well. From the info on Dunlop's website, it appears that the only difference between the 2 is that the RC has more plies. If that's the case, I would opt for the regular AT81 (which I did this time around), but if the RC also has a different rubber compound making it more durable, I might go in that direction in lieu of a heavier tire. Obviously if I take a ride through Baja etc, durability is paramount, but for the weekend stuff I'm riding now (Jawbone, Johnson Valley, Ocotillo Wells etc) I went with the lighter weight tire.

Edited by Alstar450

So talking with my friend. He has been riding on the MX32/52 about four to five times a week for the last few months. He loves the new MX32 which replaces the MX51. He is telling me that the new tires are the best he has ever been on. They hookup great and give great feedback. He tells me that for my riding that the MX32 front and MX52 back is the trick setup. The MX52 replaces the MX71. Bad new is that we called Dunlop and talk to the head of marketing for North America. And were told that the 18" tires are at least 6 - 12 months out. 

So to get the facts straight and it is strange. The MX32 replaces the MX51 and the MX52 replaces the MX71. 

My question is regarding the compounds used in both the normal AT81 and AT81 RC. Are the compounds for the two tires identical? For me I would like a durable tire but weight is also important as well. From the info on Dunlop's website, it appears that the only difference between the 2 is that the RC has more plies. If that's the case, I would opt for the regular AT81 (which I did this time around), but if the RC also has a different rubber compound making it more durable, I might go in that direction in lieu of a heavier tire. Obviously if I take a ride through Baja etc, durability is paramount, but for the weekend stuff I'm riding now (Jawbone, Johnson Valley, Ocotillo Wells etc) I went with the lighter weight tire.

The RC has more plies making the sidewalls stiffer and tougher. This allows you to run lower pressures that allow the tread of the tire to conform to the terrain while the sidewalls retain their shape better to help protect the rim and reduce folding.

As far as I know, the compound is the same between the two.

Ok Woods that's kinda what I figured. Thanks bud

So talking with my friend. He has been riding on the MX32/52 about four to five times a week for the last few months. He loves the new MX32 which replaces the MX51. He is telling me that the new tires are the best he has ever been on. They hookup great and give great feedback. He tells me that for my riding that the MX32 front and MX52 back is the trick setup. The MX52 replaces the MX71. Bad new is that we called Dunlop and talk to the head of marketing for North America. And were told that the 18" tires are at least 6 - 12 months out.

So to get the facts straight and it is strange. The MX32 replaces the MX51 and the MX52 replaces the MX71.

I don't think the MX71 is getting replaced. Only the mx 51 and 31. MX52 is a mix of intermediate and firm where 71 is firms. Also the MX52 does not yet support a 18inch rim. So the only thin you can try is the front. If the do come out with a 18 for the MX52, I'll probably try it.

I don't think the MX71 is getting replaced. Only the mx 51 and 31. MX52 is a mix of intermediate and firm where 71 is firms. Also the MX52 does not yet support a 18inch rim. So the only thin you can try is the front. If the do come out with a 18 for the MX52, I'll probably try it.

Maybe but I was told by my friend who was told no more MX 31 / 51 / 71. He's a sponsored rider and tester. And I told on a call back from the head of marketing at Dunlop the same thing. And that the new MX32/52 cover a much border range that the 31 / 51 / 71. I was told that the that the MX32 would cover soft to intermediate terrain. Where the MX52 covers intermediate to hard terrain. It works so well there was no need for the 71 and only the MX11 for mud and sand would carrie over. Like I said before there saying 6-12 months out for the 18". mostly do to MX'ers needs and 18" are slower movers and there will be old 18" stock for some time. I bet Yamaha will spec the 51 for the next two or more years.

Bad new is that we called Dunlop and talk to the head of marketing for North America. And were told that the 18" tires are at least 6 - 12 months out.

What # did you call? I've been trying to call them for the last week using the "Contact Us" link on the Dunlop motorcycle page and all I get is a recording to their consumer affairs line and am asked to leave a message. I've been trying to talk to someone over there about the AT81 compounds as referenced in my posts here. I even sent them 2 emails using their email link and have not heard back.

So I took a ride on my new AT81 today and I have to say I like them. I junked the VERY SCARY MX51 front and the AT81F seems to work very well. I rode San Diego's Corral Canyon OHV in Pine Valley (there are youtube vids of this terrain for reference) and it's a mix of mostly hard pack, some rocky areas and some washes that are very loose. On the hard pack stuff this tire is a HUGE leap forward from the stock MX51. It tracks well without wandering, is plush and doesn't seem to deflect as some of my 80/100's have in the past, and outright cornering produces very solid bite. Steering quickness was good and initial turn in was quick, as sometimes a 90 can lose a little to an 80 in that dept. I rate this tire about an 85/100 because there is one area of concern. When transitioning through the hard pack into the loose washes, there are a ton or switchbacks. Some lightly bermed and some just super flat. The AT81 bites hard through about 90% of max lean angle and then... BAM! It let's go in a hurry! No slide, no feedback or warning, just gone. The first time it took me by surprise as it was digging super hard through the turn before I ended up with the bike on the ground. The second time I was anticipating it and was able to save it with my foot on the ground, but it's pretty abrupt when it decides to let go.

That being said. I do like this tire and will continue to run it for a while. The tread pattern is very sharp and similar to a 756 and the compound seems a tad soft but held up very well on about 4 hours of hard riding. I was on 13psi today and will play with pressures on the future to see if I can get it to work just a tad better. But I have to give it a thumbs up.

I did not have time to bust the rear yet, but I will this week and give you guys my thoughts on that next weekend. FYI I went with the 110/100-18 as I'm am not a fan of 120 rears. For me they lose a little in steering quickness and don't seem to roll over side to side like a 110. Also I went with the standard And not the RC.

Edited by Alstar450

I just called and left a message and my concerns and was called back later that day. It could be my concerns or my name dropping that got them to call back.  ;)

I just called and left a message and my concerns and was called back later that day. It could be my concerns or my name dropping that got them to call back. ;)

I'm just gonna drop your Thumpertalk handle...LOL!!

So Dunlop did get back to me, and according to them the rubber compounds for both tires are identical. The only difference being in the amount applies use for each tire. FYI in a 110/100-18 the regular AT81 is 11lbs and the RC is 2 pounds heavier @ 13lbs. Just thought I'd share

I've got the stock MX51s on my 2012 WR450.   The rear is quite worn.  The knob edges are pretty rounded.

I ride woods exclusively.   Lots of roots, wet trails, slimy leaves, etc in the valleys.   The climbs have lots of gravel and big rock on them.  Not very much race track clay anywhere.  Last fall a fellow rider commented that he couldn't  believe how much the back tire on my bike was moving around on wet trails.

What is the best tire for me, front and back ?

Any updates on how some of the mentioned replacement tires are working ?