Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Russ_P

Fork dust seal removal

5 posts in this topic

Does anyone have the hot tip and know the right tool(s) to use to remove the fork dust seals? I want to pack behind them with Litheum based grease and don't want to trash anything in the process.

Russ

------------------

'00 WR 400

UNCORKED, YZ TIMED

SNORKEL & LID REMOVED

STOP TRIMMED

I used a very small flat head screwdriver. I gently worked it between the cover and the tube, and the cover slid right off. No fuss, no muss. Just be careful as to how hard you work the screwdriver in. I can see where you could do damage if to forceful.

1 person likes this

Bulldog is right, use a small flat screwdriver. Like he said be very careful not to nick the seal, if you do you risk letting in more dust and dirt. Also be careful no to scratch the fork tube, if you do you risk leaking your fork oil.

Good luck!

------------------

JJ from WA - 99 WR; WR timed, EKN Needle, Scotts stabalizer, Scotts triple clamps, Pro-Tapers, Michelin S-12's, Terry Cable hot start, MSR Raptor clutch lever , Moose skid plate , Works frame guards, Acerbis Pro Rally guards, Renthal MD-soft grips, Factory Effex graphics, YZ IMS seat base, YZ Factory Effex seat foam and gripper seat cover, YZ rear fender

I always use a (believe it or not) paint scraper.

Its way wider and thinner than any screwdriver I've got.

I wiggle it in under the seal and it comes out easily.

I think it would be pretty impossible to damage it using the scraper actually!

Greg