HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Houghton

Wr426f chain rubbing tire

5 posts in this topic

Chain contacts my tire and has taken chunks out of the knobs on the side. Chain is as tight as it should be, Easiest and quickest way to fix it? It only needs to be temporary.

Solutions:  Get a narrower tire.  What size do you have now?  I can't imagine a 120 rubbing anything.  

Hack methods:  Adjust the chain tensioners asymmetrical so it doesn't touch.  I wouldn't recommend riding it far that way.  You say it only needs to be temporary, like for an inspection?  Take a belt sander or planer to the tire and make it fit.  You could do both sides so it looked like it never happened.  Go for a really long ride the way it is.  Eventually the chain will eat away at the tire, problem solved!

Has the rim been replaced?  If so, whoever laced it may have gotten the rim off center of the hub.  

Solutions: Get a narrower tire. What size do you have now? I can't imagine a 120 rubbing anything.

Hack methods: Adjust the chain tensioners asymmetrical so it doesn't touch. I wouldn't recommend riding it far that way. You say it only needs to be temporary, like for an inspection? Take a belt sander or planer to the tire and make it fit. You could do both sides so it looked like it never happened. Go for a really long ride the way it is. Eventually the chain will eat away at the tire, problem solved!

Has the rim been replaced? If so, whoever laced it may have gotten the rim off center of the hub.

Its a 110/100/18, whats the easiest way to check if the hub is centered?

Chain is oscillating. Wheel is cocked. Dont' rely on the adjuster marks, use a tape measure and real aftermarket adjuster blocks.

Chain is probably toast by now, so you should replace it.

Its a 110/100/18, whats the easiest way to check if the hub is centered?

It's been a really long time since I've replaced a rim.  But it involved taking off the sprocket or disk, setting it on a flat surface and measuring the distance between the flat surface and the rim.  Maybe a service manual would have the specifications.  You could compare with a known good wheel from another bike.