HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
marconrh

2012 wr450f gearing sm

7 posts in this topic

want to be able to swap dirt wheels and supermoto wheels in a short time and with limited extra parts..

ordered stock oem hubs and lacing them with 17" pro wheels rims so stock speedo can be used.. can the stock speedo can be calibrated correctly with this setup? manual says you can adjust tire size. does anyone know if this works?

dirt setup im happy with stock 13/50

I would like to use same stock chain at 104 links.. I would like to have supermoto setup gearing taller with more topend..like 75mph without overreving. .what gearing ratios can you recommend ??

I have 15/43 with 17's.  Cruising at 45mph, I'm still in 4th.  Chugging along in 1st with the clutch out is about 7 or 8 mph.  I think I will stick with this gearing.  If I change, it won't be any taller.  I had to chop two links.  Check out the geometry chart on gearingcommander.com to help figure out how many links to use. 

Actually, I can cruise in 5th at 45 on flat ground.  A few mph slower than that it starts lugging.

sorry 114 link..

checked out gearing commander..cool site..

replacing front with 14

keeping dirt rear at 50..and purchasing 44 for supermoto rear..so 14/50 dirt

14/44 supermotom.sound good??

it really depends on what you mean by supermoto.  Are you talking tight gocart track supermoto/more open high speed supermoto or just commuting to work etc.  I have a WR400 that does both weekend trail riding and a 35km each way commute to work (largely motorway speeds of 100-110kmh).  it came with 15/50 motard gearing but that was way!!! to short for highway speeds.  I am currently running 15/44, but it's still a little buzzy at 100/110 ie just above 6000 rpm.  I am looking at going taller again - 15 or 16 / 39 or 40 to bring the revs down to the mid 5000's.  The bike feels more at ease in in that range while still being torquey enough for overtaking etc.

sorry 114 link..

checked out gearing commander..cool site..

replacing front with 14

keeping dirt rear at 50..and purchasing 44 for supermoto rear..so 14/50 dirt

14/44 supermotom.sound good??

I think 6 teeth difference is too much for the same chain.  14/44 would be a little too low for my taste.

I have 15/43 with 17's.  Cruising at 45mph, I'm still in 4th.  Chugging along in 1st with the clutch out is about 7 or 8 mph.  I think I will stick with this gearing.  If I change, it won't be any taller.  I had to chop two links.  Check out the geometry chart on gearingcommander.com to help figure out how many links to use. 

I got a powercore and a power tuner.  I can cruise at 40 in 5th now.  I guess it broadened the powerband a little.  No regrets with the 15/43 sprockets.