HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TajMan

Water pump impeller removal question..

6 posts in this topic

I just got a boyesen Supercooler for my '05 YZ450 supermoto bike I'm making street legal.

I've got the stock water pump cover off, and the clutch cover off also..

How can I get the stock water pump impeller off to install the new Boyesen unit? Is it required to completely remove the right side case to hold the back of the water pump gear with a wrench to remove the impeller? Or can I somehow hold the clutch pack to keep the engine from rotating as I remove the impeller? What are the re-TQ specs when I put the new impeller on?

Oh wait, I can probably take off the left side engine cover for the stator, and hold the crankshaft from turning with a wrench on that side huh?

When I got my clutch cover off, I saw I had an aftermarket SuteRacing slipper clutch..

20140410_162501_zps166e8061.jpg

How can I get the stock water pump impeller off to install the new Boyesen unit? Is it required to completely remove the right side case to hold the back of the water pump gear with a wrench to remove the impeller?

It is if you don't want to break the impeller shaft first and then take it off.

Read: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/841710-04-450-coolant-leak/

Funny, Boyesen called me back from a website contact inquiry, and the lady on the phone said i didn't need to remove the side case!

I was laughing because I already got advice here and already had my side cover off..

I asked how to hold the crankshaft from turning!? She wasn't quite sure, said maybe hold the brake while the engine was in gear..

lol, I'm glad I did it the right way. Man that impeller was on there pretty tight! What was that 50 ft-lbs !?

Edited by TajMan

I'm glad I did it the right way. Man that impeller was on there pretty tight! What was that 50 ft-lbs !?

Stuff always comes off harder than it goes on.  The metals form an adhesive bond to each other, and they tend to be self tightening, so when they get really hot, they can cinch up even more on their own.  Assembly torque is 120 in/lb (10 ft/lb).

I just installed a SuperCooler kit on my 09, and I ended up holding the rear brake with the bike in gear to remove the stock impeller. And I tightened (10 ft lbs) the Boyesen impeller the same way. If something broke, would I know about it right away? I didn't hear or feel anything break, and the new impeller tightened up easily. I ran the bike and everything seems good so far, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything and no damage was done since this was my first time doing a water pump on a bike.

I just lost a day of riding to bad seals in my water pump on my 09. New seals and bearing were less than 20$. Might think about that while you have it all torn apart.

I don't know the average life span of the seals but my bike only has about 105 hrs on it.