Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nicky_A

took a spill and now bikes leaking oil like crazy

11 posts in this topic

was riding the other day and my ass end came out from under me.. got up and kept riding.. when I went to get gas I seen my bike leaking oil really bad any ideas of what could of happen?

im praying to God it is just a broken line, I fell on the left side. where the clutch is. and the oil is all over the front sprocket and chain. thanks for the help

im praying to God it is just a broken line, I fell on the left side. where the clutch is. and the oil is all over the front sprocket and chain. thanks for the help

any other ideas of what could of went wrong. my dad wants to rebuild the trans but I don't think that's the problem

The clutch is on the right side.  The clutch release arm is on the left.

You're going to have to pinpoint the source.  Clean it up and then try it out to see if you can locate the source.  Under normal circumstances, places oil could come from include the output shaft seal, neutral switch, oil level check bolt, clutch release shaft seal, starter motor seal at the left crankcase cover, the crankcase cover gasket, and the gasket on the crankcase cover for the starter drive cover.  On an '03-'06, you could add the return oil line to that list.

If you went down in some rocks, you could also have damaged the left crankcase cover itself, etc.

1 person likes this

The clutch is on the right side.  The clutch release arm is on the left.

You're going to have to pinpoint the source.  Clean it up and then try it out to see if you can locate the source.  Under normal circumstances, places oil could come from include the output shaft seal, neutral switch, oil level check bolt, clutch release shaft seal, starter motor seal at the left crankcase cover, the crankcase cover gasket, and the gasket on the crankcase cover for the starter drive cover.  On an '03-'06, you could add the return oil line to that list.

If you went down in some rocks, you could also have damaged the left crankcase cover itself, etc.

yeah I gotta go take a good look get back on here soon thanks

yeah I gotta go take a good look get back on here soon thanks

Until you figure out where the leak is coming from, there really isn't a need to speculate.  It shouldn't be hard to figure out where the leak is coming from once you clean it up and really take a good look at it.  Covers can often times be patched with epoxy, seals can be replaced.  You might be able to fix a cracked case with epoxy, but you might also have to pull the motor or split cases depending on how bad the crack is and the location.  If you are riding a 4-stroke, the flywheel is submersed in oil, unlike the 2 stroke bikes.  I hit a rock with the flywheel cover and a small leak started.  I went home. layed it over on it's side, cleaned it up with brake clean and hit it real fast with a wire wheel , applied the epoxy and it hasn't leaked since (over a year).

I figured it out.. my front sprocket came loose and it was leaking from there.. im surprised it was leaking from there. also im guessing if I take my front sprocket off oils going to pour out? looking to replace it.  also would  u know the MM of the nut that is on the front sprocket and always up top at the handle bars.

thanks

nick

Taking the sprocket off isn't going to cause oil to pour out. There is a seal that goes behind the sprocket that is probably the problem. I just had to replace mine.

1 person likes this

The WR/YZF transmission is pressure oiled.  The normal oil level in the sump after the engine has been run for a minute is down around the shift shaft level, so you won't loose any significant oil by pulling the seal.  Note the condition of the steel collar that the seal runs on (replace it if it has a groove worn in by the seal), and don't seat the seal too deeply (don't seat it past flush).  The seal pocket has no "bottom".

It may also be true that the only real problem was that it came loose, and it doesn't need a seal at all.