HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dan_zombie

Reconstruction help

4 posts in this topic

Hey guys I just got my frame/sub/ swingarm back go the powder coaters and am chewing at the bits to get out of class and wrenching! ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1396477782.226099.jpg

I have a quick question before I start rebuilding. How would I find the size of various bolts on the bike? I'm sure it's in the manual but I cannot find it. I am just trying to get bolts from a hardware store instead of having to order them OEM. They may not be disclosed for this reason. I'll be doing a full write up when I'm done.

Thanks guys!

Dan

The parts fiche shows MOST of the sizes, but not in plain text.  Here's how it works:

This crankcase bolt bears part number 91317-06075-00.  The middle 5 digits tell you that's an M6 bolt, 75mm long.  As it happens, it's an M6x1.0 thread, but neither that fact nor the grade is given in the fiche.  An example of a part number that doesn't give the length is the midpipe to sub frame bolt, part number 90105-08085-00. it IS an M8, but it's nowhere near 85mm (3 3/8") long.  Using the part number works when it works, but it doesn't always.

The vast majority of fasteners on the bike are ISO thread (M6x1.0, M8x1.25, M10x1.5, etc.), and most are grade 8.5.  Some are more likely to be 10.5, or rarely 12.5, but as said, they aren't marked.  Use your best judgment.

The manual does call out thread sizes on a lot of stuff in section 2, under torque specs.

Wow thanks guys that's exactly what I was looking for! Is there a sticky explaining it that I've missed? Because there should be