HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
72degrees

04 450F oil level and consumption.

5 posts in this topic

The 04 YZ450F was going very well this weekend at Pembrey having survived my winter valve shimming exercise. Starting easier, though it had also been treated to a new plug, air filter, and replacement idle easy adjust air screw with intact o-ring.

It had a start of season oil and filter change, but after the first day a check the next morning showed the level down to 'half' on the dip stick. I know the drill in the manual and I followed it, but I'm wondering if it may be like the Voxan 1000 I had. That was dry sump with a very tall narrow oil tank. You could not get an accurate level on that until it the bike was well and truly at operating temperature. I was told the oil temperature and expansion effect was such that just starting and idling for a couple of minutes wasn't enough. A bit of a pain not being able to be sure without taking it round the block, but that was the way it was except in the height of summer.

At least it doesn't take much oil at all to top it up. No oil smoke when running  and no obvious leaks. As far as I know it must be still on the original piston from when it was tuned by "Will Power" in 2004. It's not had a great number of hours use since then according to its history and certainly only 3 or 4 since we've had it, but I guess it may be time for a engine refresh. The 2011 KTM 350SXF also must produce more power than I expected or the YZ has lost some of the horses (58)  it had on its fresh build dyno test but that was 10 years ago. We both were doing the same times within 10ths on each bike (though naturally my lad was 10 seconds quicker than me).  That might be in part due to more optimal gearing on the 350 though given the 5 speed box. We were running 15/38 on the YZ, well in to the 90mph plus region by my calculations. It certainly felt like it on the long start straight approaching the hairpin. A pity there wasn't a speed trap. Perhaps a bit high geared, but on an unfamiliar course I always prefer to start over geared and not hit the rev limiter in top half way  down the straight on the first practice run . While we were putting the spare rear wheel with ladder cut slick in  once the weather dried and warmed up, we could have gone a tooth bigger but the lad preferred not to on a 'gear for bend sequence argument' and as he is the better rider I didn't argue. A dyno test on both might be informative.

When you say, "the next morning, it was down to half...", did you start the bike before checking the oil?

Oil leaks past the oil pump back into the crankcase, and the only way to accurately be sure of the level is too run the engine for a minimum 45 seconds, shut it down, and check the level within the next 5 minutes.

When you say, "the next morning, it was down to half...", did you start the bike before checking the oil?

Oil leaks past the oil pump back into the crankcase, and the only way to accurately be sure of the level is too run the engine for a minimum 45 seconds, shut it down, and check the level within the next 5 minutes.

Oh yes, and run for more like a couple of minutes steady idle then stopped and the level checked quickly. It was pretty cold and the bike had been standing under a shelter in the open on a windy ex airfield circuit paddock all night. I suppose I should have checked it again once definitely hot but we were a bit busy with two of us riding two bikes, changing riding numbers in the assembly area. Should have done it in the lunch break but that was devoted to the wheel swap. I'll make a point of doing so next Sunday. On a dry sump system I'm not too concerned yet,  but I'll keep a closer eye on it.

The YZ450F shouldn't really use a noticeable amount of oil inside of 5-6 hours, which should be about all you would want to want to run on an oil change.  But, it takes an incredibly small amount in the chamber with each power stroke to burn 200cc off in that amount of time. 

Given the very short duration but intense use our speed hill climb bikes enjoy they get oil changes at no more than 1.5  hours. The 2011 KTM 350SXF doesn't seem to use any and the used oil (Motul Factory Line 300V ) also comes out of that  looking cleaner than the YZ after similar hours. Looks like I must accept that the 450 needs an engine refresh next winter. I thought about it at the end of last season but needed to finance new Dunlop wets and get the KTM lowered and re-sprung. It goes very well for a ten year old bike and with the lad aboard was only 6 seconds (in 60 seconds) behind the FTD bike (a sprint and hill climb special TL1000 Suzuki ) and in contention with much more recent 450s including very trick and recent CRFs, KTMs and Bergs. Perhaps he deserves something a bit lighter and potent for next year. He certainly rides the YZ hard:
5060928_aijksuy146_l.jpg

Edited by 72degrees