HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
riderdietryin85

Blown head gasket and water pump seals? ?

24 posts in this topic

Am i using the wrong coolnt i noticed the coating on the head gasket is bubbling where it comes in contact with the coolnt .. also had issues befor replacing water pump with high flow boysen coolnt seemed to disapear.. so sick of rebuilding this bike 80 hrs 10 oil changes 3 head gaskets .. first was my fault missing dowl pin. Second was this one seems to have a small blow out .. do they make a coper gasket or hd gasket

I have a 2003 yz 450 got it in a basket when i first put it together i stalked this site so joined. Have completely rebuilt it new oem cylinder head was checkd by machene shop when they put the new valves in. It is a black coated oem gasket that i just blew and it only was seeping..

So this is where im at .. new head gasket .. diff coolnt new water pump seals and bearing. Im way into this old bike and so just want it to give me some fun years of riding ..

1396228762162.jpg

1396228795741.jpg

1) Has the head been checked for flatness?

2) What procedure did you use to torque it?

Also make sure the top of the cylinder is flat. It can easily be checked with a machinists straight edge and feeler gauges.

Any machine shop will check both for cheap.

Head was checkd oem cylinder from over seas .. torq on these is weird calls for 2 90 s so i did that them set to same torq across the 4 thik 45 or 55 whatever the higest bolta torq was .. made shure to grease bolt threds with molly grease also

So, you torqued the four main head bolts to 22 ft/lb, backed them out, retorqued them to 14 ft/lb. and then rotated each one 90 degrees and then another 90 after that?

1 person likes this

Grayracer that is correct .. as stated in the manule i have realy been tryn to do everything on this bike by the book

Coolant can enter the engine oil at the joint between the right case cover, the base gasket joint, the head gasket, or a crack in the case cover, crankcase, cylinder, or head. 

The head gasket has a blow out not in .. coolnt was comming out of the head gasket right above the exhaust .. my idea is that coolnt is comming out the weep hole cause the seal was weak from a bad bearing .. idk what a bad one feels like and there doesnt seem to be much play in the shaft .. it was fine till i added high flow water pump.. .. so here is my plan of atack new head gasket .. molly grease fallow torq specs .. new bearing for water pump and new inner and outer seal .. switch coolnt to watter wetter or engine ice .. check valves cause its apart and see where im at from there

. Thanks for all the help i realy do apreciate the great group here .. thanks agen guys

I clean my bike with a tooth brush you are not talking to a dumb ass .. i am verry involved in this the coolnt came from the head gasket .. right next to the exhaust .. the gasket has a burn mark on the lower half right at the exhaust .. i have been threw this befor it was a blow in where it filled the cylinder with coolnt .. now ita a blow out where it was blowing coolnt out the head gasket .. the plug in the head is not leaking and the rubber valve cover gasket is new and not leaking either .. simply have a blown out head gasket and waterpump seals .. i wana know why .. seems like no one has a answer but the coating on the headgasket should not have bubbled up like it did had to be the coolnt causing this because its only where the coolnt was in contact with the gasket

Head was checkd oem cylinder from over seas .. torq on these is weird calls for 2 90 s so i did that them set to same torq across the 4 thik 45 or 55 whatever the higest bolta torq was .. made shure to grease bolt threds with molly grease also

So, you torqued the four main head bolts to 22 ft/lb, backed them out, retorqued them to 14 ft/lb. and then rotated each one 90 degrees and then another 90 after that?

This is my first post on TT, but I just wanted to say I don't think anyone is calling you a dumbass.  You should re-read the posts about head bolt torque because what you said is nothing like (not even remotely, similar to how a banana and an elephant are the same) what Grayracer (correctly I might add) said.  If the machined surfaces are true and you are not cooking your engine by overheating it then my guess is you are incorrectly installing the new parts you are buying...

I think my words were misumderstood i am at my wits end.. the torq on the bike is 14 then 22 with grease then 90 in a cross pattern then 90 agen .. thats what im gona do got new oem head gasket and replaced waterpump seal And bearring

The oil plug above the exhaust that plugs the hole from the manuel decompression isnt leaking just the head gasket .. i didnt find coolnt in my oil so no issues there. Thanks for all your help gona do this one more time with my fingers crossed..

I think my words were misumderstood i am at my wits end.. the torq on the bike is 14 then 22 with grease then 90 in a cross pattern then 90 agen .. thats what im gona do got new oem head gasket and replaced waterpump seal And bearing

No worries, You have the torques backwards though, 22 then back them out, then 14 lbs then 90 deg more then 90 deg more.  Make sure you do them in the right order (this is critical).  (Not trying to be condescending at all but heads are weird, if you don't do it exactly how you are supposed to the gaskets will not seal.) 

Good luck! (mystery issues make me want to stick my head in an oven...)

I think my words were misumderstood i am at my wits end.. the torq on the bike is 14 then 22 with grease then 90 in a cross pattern then 90 agen .. thats what im gona do got new oem head gasket and replaced waterpump seal And bearring

Gentle words of advice.

1.Walk away from it for a bit and take a break if you get frustrated while working on a machine.

2.Pay close attention to detail of procedures when digging this deep into a bike.

3. Don't burn bridges with people that are trying to help you, especially when they are some of the best resources available, by telling them that you are not a dumbass. Thats kind of a turnoff.