Removing exhaust cam / compression release

2009 yz450

How do you remove the compression release as stated in the common thread for valve adjustment? Is this step really required? My manual does not mention it. I am attempting to adjust my valves but I can't get exhaust cam out by hand. I figured I would reach out for advice before doing something I would regret.

2009 yz450

How do you remove the compression release as stated in the common thread for valve adjustment? Is this step really required? My manual does not mention it. I am attempting to adjust my valves but I can't get exhaust cam out by hand. I figured I would reach out for advice before doing something I would regret.

I'm in the process of doing my valves now and I was pretty easily able to get the cams out after removing the cam chain tensioner.

2009 yz450

There is no compression release to remove on a YZ450.  The writeup was originally for a 426.  Otherwise, the process doesn't change.

There is no compression release to remove on a YZ450. The writeup was originally for a 426. Otherwise, the process doesn't change.

Thanks. I got the cam out. Had to grab it like I meant it. Just didnt want to force it and break something. I thought the auto decompression was internal the exhaust cam.

I thought the auto decompression was internal the exhaust cam.

It is, but you don't need to mess with it in any way.  The manual compression release in the older engines overhangs the right side bucket, so it has to be backed out in order to adjust that one valve.