HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
frogeye

ECU question on 2013 wr450f

18 posts in this topic

First of all thank you for your help. I just got a brand new WR and I want to in cork it.

This morning I removed the exhaust baffle in the stock can. My bike did not like it at all. It would start warm up and shut off. If I'm not mistaken I think removing the restrictive baffle creates a lean mixture and the ecu protects the bike by shutting down.

I started it about 5 different times. Each time it would shutoff. I decided to put the baffle back in and it idles like it should.

What do I need to do to let the ecu reset? Do I just disconnect it from the battery/reconnect?

Also... After seeing how crazy restrictive that muffler is I'm going to be adding a slip on muffler to my mod list. And, I've got the comp ECU coming.

Thanks for your help and advice.

I run the FMF Q4 Hex slip on and like it a lot. Don't forget this bike idles at 1900-2100 rpm. Most find that the idle is set way to low. The power programer shows the RPMs. Or you can use a meter with a tach.

I run the FMF Q4 Hex slip on and like it a lot. Don't forget this bike idles at 1900-2100 rpm. Most find that the idle is set way to low. The power programer shows the RPMs. Or you can use a meter with a tach.

Cool thanks for the info I'll take a look at that slip on.

Would you hurt anything by keeping the idle lower than recommended?  I figure it would be easier to stall if you're not careful, but anything else besides that?  I dual sport and get stuck at long red lights sometimes.  I figure it might help a little with gas mileage.  What do you think?

Would you hurt anything by keeping the idle lower than recommended?  I figure it would be easier to stall if you're not careful, but anything else besides that?  I dual sport and get stuck at long red lights sometimes.  I figure it might help a little with gas mileage.  What do you think?

Yes, makes the bike a lot harder to start, especially when hot.

It also make the bike run hotter. I know that sounds weird to some. But the higher RPM spins the water pump faster, moves more air through the engine. And thats were the fuel table for the idle is set. 

I didn't think about that.  I did stall today with it set around 1800-1850.  I better keep it within specs.

:ride:

I went back out to Ocotillo Wells today with my mods done.  I put 75 more miles on it today. 

WOW!

Slip on gytr FMF pipe

remove throttle stop

Comp ECU

What a difference!

The bike was a dog in it's stock CA restricted form.  But now....SWEET!

I'm assuming the ECUs learn from your riding style?  I didin't put a map on the new Comp ECU, I just plugged it in.  I found a local shop that is going to put a nice desert map on it for me.

I don't miss my CRF450R anymore.  My WR has gone beast mode.

I went back out to Ocotillo Wells today with my mods done.  I put 75 more miles on it today. 

WOW!

Slip on gytr FMF pipe

remove throttle stop

Comp ECU

What a difference!

I'm assuming the ECUs learn from your riding style?  I didin't put a map on the new Comp ECU, I just plugged it in.  I found a local shop that is going to put a nice desert map on it for me.

WOW!

Slip on gytr FMF pipe

remove throttle stop

Comp ECU

What a difference!

I run the Aussie map.  I have the Comp. ECU, snorkel removed and a Rocket Exhaust with the FIM insert and spark arrestor.  This thing hauls the mail! A less restrictive exhaust will probably give you more, but I like to keep the noise down below 96db.

http://transmoto.com.au/2012-yamaha-wr450f-maps/

WOW!

Slip on gytr FMF pipe

remove throttle stop

Comp ECU

What a difference!

Right on. I found the bike rideable bone-stock, but pretty mellow. But once you desrict it, it's another beast entirely.

Unfortunately no, the FI system on dirt bikes is not as sophisticated as what's in cars, or even street bikes. It cannot 'learn' or adjust on the fly like auto systems can... yet. So the default map on the comp ECU is ok, way better than the stocker, obviously, but using the tuner can really change the power delivery to suit your riding conditions/terrain. In your case, I'd imagine you'd want and even snappier map than the default. If your shop has a good map, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the results. :ride:

1 person likes this

I was gonna run it stock for break in but the pipe would get red hot on a mellow run in the wind on a cool day.  So I ditched the stock ecu asap.  I ran the default map on the comp ecu and it was waaay better than the stock.  Now I run the map suggested in the GYTR/FMF sheet that came with my Powercore pipe and holy shiiiit did it come alive.  From sea level to 7000 ft wide open dez to tight woods this bike rips.  I find it a bit twitcy on the street as the hit comes on quickly.  I'm gonna play with some more maps and keep the results on the tuner for comparison.    

Edited by guru

I was gonna run it stock for break in but the pipe would get red hot on a mellow run in the wind on a cool day. So I ditched the stock ecu asap. I ran the default map on the comp ecu and it was waaay better than the stock. Now I run the map suggested in the GYTR/FMF sheet that came with my Powercore pipe and holy shiiiit did it come alive. From sea level to 7000 ft wide open dez to tight woods this bike rips. I find it a bit twitcy on the street as the hit comes on quickly. I'm gonna play with some more maps and keep the results on the tuner for comparison.

My local bike mechanic told me he will load a map for $40. So I'm SoCal sea level desert riding. I need to load that map ;-). Thanks for your info.

My local bike mechanic told me he will load a map for $40. So I'm SoCal sea level desert riding. I need to load that map ;-). Thanks for your info.

Man that kinda sucks, as it literally takes 30 seconds to load a map. But if you don't have the GYTR tuner, you're SOL and they run just under $300. Then again, if you ride all or mostly desert, if you get the right map in there the first time, you may not need to touch it again. So $40 is a lot better than $300!

Man that kinda sucks, as it literally takes 30 seconds to load a map. But if you don't have the GYTR tuner, you're SOL and they run just under $300. Then again, if you ride all or mostly desert, if you get the right map in there the first time, you may not need to touch it again. So $40 is a lot better than $300!

I know. I need to decide if I need another $300 toy that I'll rarely use.

I'm in SF so I probably can't help.  Unless you want to send me your ECU and I'll load and send it back for the cost of postage.  Any So Cal riders of FI WR450s you can find?  Is this the shop you purchased the bike at?  Mine would do it for free.  Ultimately unless you can convince your buddies to buy one you will want to throw down the dough for the tuner.  It is like a radio stuck on one station, even if it's a damn good station.  

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1397844000.644850.jpg

Here is the map I love 2nd from top. Pretty aggressive combo of fuel and ignition. Correction: it came with ECU not pipe.

Fuel infected YZ riders might have the programmer too.  You can get one for around $210 if you shop around.  I imagine a Yamaha dealer would have one you could use but maybe not.

Edited by funt