HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dirtjunkie23

Tusk clutch kit

19 posts in this topic

Has anybody tried the tusk clutch kits. Are they any good? They seem to be a decent price. But then again u get what you pay for. So i was wondering if any body has tried them and are they any good

I have one in my CRF450R and a CRF250X, they work every bit as good as stock. The 450s has been in there for 4-5 years now and I abuse the clutch bad on that thing in the tight stuff, and it`s never gave me a hint of trouble.

I have one in my bike and have zero complaints thus far. I have about 30 hrs on it.

Just installed one about 2 months ago after starting a similar thread. My choice was based solely on budget. It works just fine and I feel no difference from the Hinson I replaced. 

I have yet to try one, I've always used OEM fibers and steel plates but I will be trying the Tusk kit next clutch replacement. It's worth trying for $50

I put over 150 hours on one racing woods with a 478 big bore. Mine did great but I'm not a clutch abuser.

They are a good buy for the money. The oem kit might last longer or work better but it costs significantly more

I tried one once. It worked, but it seemed to swell a lot as it got hot. I would start getting all sorts of play in the clutch during a short MX race. I would have to adjust the clutch twice in 7 laps just to keep it from being all end-play. When the bike cooled down it would tighten up again and I had to adjust the clutch back to how it started. I ran it for 2 races and couldn't stand the constant swelling, so I pulled it out. I have never had this problem with OEM , DP, or Hinson.

If you want to save a few bucks, look up KG clutch factory , they are who make the OEM clutches, and you can buy straight from them for less than an OEM one costs from a dealer. I believe you can get KG clutches from the TT store.

Edited by KJ790

Ok well so far its 5050. Thanks guys

The question is whether Tusk is better than Yamaha plates, not Honda. :rolleyes:

I tried one once. It worked, but it seemed to swell a lot as it got hot. I would start getting all sorts of play in the clutch during a short MX race. I would have to adjust the clutch twice in 7 laps just to keep it from being all end-play. When the bike cooled down it would tighten up again and I had to adjust the clutch back to how it started. I ran it for 2 races and couldn't stand the constant swelling, so I pulled it out. I have never had this problem with OEM , DP, or Hinson.

That's been my experience.  Also, remember that it's one thing when you have to put up with something you installed for yourself, but it's another to have a customer come back complaining about what you installed and wanting you to fix it for free.  I don't use things I wouldn't trust in my own bike.  One wife is enough.

I also heard tusk swell up so made the decision to go with oem. However we use the clutch's in very technical trails and hill climbs.

Disclaimer: I may not be a good source...

I can only get about 25 hours out of a stock clutch, but reduce that to less than 5 when anything but stock is tried. I have tried both Tusk and Rekluse fibers when wanting to try something different to see if I could get more life out of a clutch and have been extremely disappointed. Not that these wouldn't work for anyone else, but if you like to use the clutch or are abusive like me, I would stick with OEM. I have yet to try and Hinson and have heard good things, but at least with Stock I know what to expect.

Swaldrop: Something you may wish to try: 

I have a Rekluse Z-Start Pro clutch, so I have to use their steel plates, which I had already bought from Rekluse, so I had no use for the steels or the springs in the kit to start with, only the friction plates.  The '06 uses 9 friction plates, while all the later ones for which full kits are made use 8, but since the Rekluse uses 8 in all models, that didn't matter either.  The real "problem" was that the kit was for an '09 YFZ450R (quad), not for a YZ450F, and the plate part numbers were different.  

A YZ450F uses 5TA-16321-00-00 plates, all 9 (or 8 in my case).  The kit had two of those, but the other 6 were 5VY-16321-00-00.  I ran the part number and found out these plates are the ones used in an R1.  My first concern with these was obviously not whether they could handle the power, but that they were very slightly thicker, and when stacked up, the plate clearance when disengaged was a little close.  Nevertheless, the clutch releases a lot more cleanly than the OEM set up, or than the previous Rekluse setup, either one, and I can now usually start it in gear unless it's heated up to the high end of normal. 

You might want to try a set of those, using the 5TA plates on the ends where they run against aluminum, and the 5VY plates in between.  See what happens.  The kit would give you quad clutch springs, which you may not like, but clutch springs are $23 a set, so it's not a real big deal.   The plates have been working very well for me for about a year now.

You might want to try a set of those, using the 5TA plates on the ends where they run against aluminum, and the 5VY plates in between.  See what happens.  The kit would give you quad clutch springs, which you may not like, but clutch springs are $23 a set, so it's not a real big deal.   The plates have been working very well for me for about a year now.

Interesting, though I am not sure I follow... Does this set up require a Rekluse? I don't currently have one, though I did try an EXP a couple years ago. I don't think I gave it a fair shake however as I went cheap and didn't go full coreEXP. The loss of clutch plates was not a good thing for me :(

I was previously running the '06 clutch in my '11, based off of another of your suggestions and found that I was able to get more life out of it. I have yet to see if it will work in my '14, but will eventually give it a shot. 

Yamaha switched it up a bit in the '14, where they now use fibers of (what I believe to be) different thicknesses. I don't recall the part numbers or which was thicker/thinner, but it went something like 3 - 3 - 2, with the 5 plates on the outside being the same part. 

No, it doesn't require a Rekluse.   The interesting thing is how well the clutch works with the R1 plates (5VY..00).  Those are the same ones the middle 3 in the '14 are. 

OK. So you are saying to increase that from 3 to 6, leaving the outer 2 the only two that are normally designated for the 450?

That's what the clutch kit I referred to consists of: 2 5TA's and 6 5VY's, same as the '09 YFZ-R quad.  It's not about the plate thickness, it's about the lining and its ability to take a beating.  You'd think that the same plates used in a 360 pound 180 HP bike would be pretty rugged, no?

Good enough for me. I think I will give it a shot next time I need a clutch. Unfortunately, it will be sooner than later :/

I have been using a Tusk clutch kit for the last year or so and I gotta agree with some of the others. It works yes but just using it as it's intended seems to make it swell with the heat and thus constant adjustment at the lever. when I replace mine in the not so distant future I'll go back with either OEM or EBC or some other reputable manufacturer. It's true, you get what you pay for. Buyer be ware. Just my 2 cents for what it's worth.