HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mrgem

Sprockets/Gearing/Chain for 2003

1 post in this topic

My low-hours 2003 has the original chain and sprockets -- which are actually in pretty good shape.

However, a lot of the riding we do here is technical stuff -- first and 2nd gear. So I am considering changing the sprockets and chain to one that will give me a little better control without a ton of clutch slipping. I'm thinking going from the current 14/50 to 13/51.

I've searched this forum and find a number of recommendations as to brand and style of the drive components, but not a ton of info on gearing that works well in the slow stuff (although there are a number of posts on dual-sport and SM gearing).

Any comments on this gearing I am considering? And will the standard 114-link chain length work with the13/51 sprockets? Assume it will, since number of teeth is the same.

Thanks.

Edited by mrgem