'10 / '11 broken 4'th gear problems . Is this common?

I have a '10 YZ450, that broke the 4'th gear, and ruined a bunch of other transmission parts. So I bought another '11 motor from E-bay. When I got that motor, I found out that the left side case was broken, so I decided to split the case on both motors to swap cases. Then, I discovered that the[sAME 4'th gear was broken in the '11 motor as well! It looks like this is a common problem with these '10-'13 motors.

BTW, do not do any dealings with TERRY HARDISON out of CA. He is the &%$#@! who sold me this motor claiming it was a perfectly good motor. He is currently parting out 2011 YZ450.

attachment=129662:IMG_3116.JPG]

IMG_3116.JPG

Edited by yam314

If he claimed it was good and it isnt cant you return it, allert eBay or PayPal?

Unfortunately not, I flat got screwed. He sold it outside of E-Bay, and did not want to do PayPal. I learned an expensive lesson.

He's a POS ! 

But I have a chance to buy a 2011 with a completely rebuilt motor here locally from a buddy for $3500. It was rebuilt because, guess what? A broken 4'th gear ! I am afraid to get another 2010-2013 YZ450f, because I am afraid it will blow up again.

Anybody else out there having this issue? I love the bike, and have not had a single problem with it, until now!

BTW, I will be parting out my 2010 YZ if anybody needs anything.

One guy in my club has either an 10 or 11 and broke 5th on a lake bed of all things lol.

Unfortunately not, I flat got screwed. He sold it outside of E-Bay, and did not want to do PayPal. I learned an expensive lesson.

He's a POS ! 

But I have a chance to buy a 2011 with a completely rebuilt motor here locally from a buddy for $3500. It was rebuilt because, guess what? A broken 4'th gear ! I am afraid to get another 2010-2013 YZ450f, because I am afraid it will blow up again.

Anybody else out there having this issue? I love the bike, and have not had a single problem with it, until now!

BTW, I will be parting out my 2010 YZ if anybody needs anything.

Report him for making a deal outside of eBay. You won't get your money back, but you will get him kicked off. They don't take very kindly to going behind their backs!

Yeah, I think it may be the 5'th gear instead of 4'th. It is the slider gear . Is there any remedy other than replacing the gear and having it break again? This seems to be a weak link in these motors. I always change my oil after every other ride, or every race using Lucas oil, and I have never seen any metal particles on my filter. This broke as I was cresting an uphill step-up.I heard the clunk as the broken part  lodged in between other gears and broke them.

BTW, please don't make this post about the E-bay deal.

Edited by yam314

I know of nothing he did but replace broken parts, sorry. So far so good for him any ways.

Yeah, I think it may be the 5'th gear instead of 4'th. It is the slider gear . Is there any remedy other than replacing the gear and having it break again? This seems to be a weak link in these motors. I always change my oil after every other ride, or every race using Lucas oil, and I have never seen any metal particles on my filter. This broke as I was cresting an uphill step-up.I heard the clunk as the broken part  lodged in between other gears and broke them.

BTW, please don't make this post about the E-bay deal.

Same thing happened to me (2010 YZ450) going off the face of a big table, fifth gear came apart. Luckily nothing locked up but it took out half the motor. At first thought it was a rock hitting the shock spring, that's what it sounded like anyway. 

Edited by sean3239