HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WrOilFieldTrash

Highest octane?

12 posts in this topic

I've got a 2013 wr450f and I wanna run higher than the 91 octane rec fuel we get in town, i was thinking like some klotz octane boost to jump it up to say 100 octane. I've got a fmf full exhaust with the powerbomb header pipe, gytr competition ecu with the YZ throttle screw and the power tuner, k&n air cleaner. What are some opinions and will it damage my new motor???

Edited by WrOilFieldTrash

More octane? Why? If you aren't pinging on 91, you don't need more, and having more won't produce any benefits.  Remember that 91 octane as tested and posted on US gas pumps (R+M/2 method, or AKI) is equivalent to around 96+ Research Octane, and 95 RON is all that the book calls for.

You might get a higher quality fuel than you can buy at the pump, and your performance may improve marginally as a result, but it will not have anything whatsoever to do with the octane number.

It's not so much the octane jump I'm looking at, it's that smell that you can only get from higher octane, and if anyone has run klotz they can tell you it smells amazing lol. I see ppl on here saying don't waste your money, well money is not a problem for me or I'd have stuck with a scooter or something else with 2 wheels. Just curious if I'm gonna have premature engine failure from running klotz up to 100 octane or so

Octane in excess of what you need causes no problems whatever.  Fuel of the wrong type, not properly jetted can.  High performance gasolines formulated to be oxygenated, such as VP u4.4, require larger jetting to offset the oxygen content of the fuel. 

If it's just smell you want, by a quart of Maxima 927 and drop a teaspoon in every full tank.  Much cheaper.

Ok so with that VP fuel it's leaded is that any cause of concern? And also my bike is FI so I'd just have to get it remapped for the oxygenated race fuel? (There's a lot idk but I thought jets were only on carbs)

Ok so with that VP fuel it's leaded is that any cause of concern? And also my bike is FI so I'd just have to get it remapped for the oxygenated race fuel? (There's a lot idk but I thought jets were only on carbs)

No

Yes

Are you seriously just after a certain exhaust smell? Not judging - who doesn't love the smell of burned race gas - just a somewhat unusual goal by itself probably.

Well no, race gas is refined way more than pump gas, doesn't have all the bs EPA junk in it. I'm thinking about getting some vp u4.4 or the new vpr to try out, I'll have to get it remapped but I have the power tuner so that shouldn't be a problem as long as I can find the maps or maybe someone can help me, (cause Idk shit about this) any info is appreciated

... race gas is refined way more than pump gas,

No it's not, it's just a different formula.

Depending on the quality of your local pump gas, you might gain as much as 2 HP from using something like U4.4. If it costs $12/gallon, and you ride 50 hours in a year, averaging 40 mph, and get 20 mpg in the process, that's $800 a year extra for those two HP, every year until you decide to give them up. The right exhaust cam will give you that for a $200 one time expenditure.