Ryco "Just Barely" Kit Blowing out WR450FW Headlight

I installed a Ryco "Just Barely" Kit to make my WR450FW street legal and now every bulb blows the second I turn it on.  Does anyone have any idea why this is happening.  The bulb is an H12 12V 35/36.5W.  I have not seen how much voltage it is putting out yet but why would this kit increase voltage output if there was not a stator rewind or regulator adjustment?  Please help.

You probably didn't plug something in correctly. Call Roy at Ryco he will help you out.

Edited by stevethe

Any one else?  I need some real insight, not a guess.  Rectifier issue?  Would this kit make my rectifier go out?  Do not know how this would happen and maybe it is just coincidence that it went out at the same time as the kit was put on.  Voltage is way too high (makes me think its the rectifier) but will this kit fry my new rectifier if I replace it?

Seems your real insight should be the guy that makes the kit. He is very knowledgeable.

I have the same kit on one of my bikes without any issues.

The kit did nothing to "increase" voltage, it's not hooked up right, end of story. You are asking us to find a problem with something YOU wired up without us being there to see anything and give us no information to go on to help us troubleshooting it. And you're looking at throwing parts at something without knowing its bad or even determining that is the problem.

First thing you need to do is go over your wiring and instructions. Are you the original owner of the bike? Any stator mods? Any additional electrical mods?

How much voltage are you getting at the light sockets? Have you tested the wiring to see if the path is good with no shorts in it? If you don't have a meter go buy one, you'll never be able to fix it without knowing what's going on.

You have one of two things going on, either a direct short in the lighting circuit or too much voltage at the bulbs. Without knowing your skill or any additional info it's all a guess.

Mike

No mods, I am original owner and it is hooked up correctly. Voltage reads 26 which is too high as previously mentioned. I guess all I am asking is, could this kit ruin a new rectifier because it seems that is the issue. Would anyone disagree? I have tried contacting Ryco but have not heard back. Stevethe, do you have Roy's contact information? All i have is whats given on his website. Mike, thanks for nothing.

Whether it is the kits fault or not, I think it is the rectifier because of the high voltage. Just curious as to why it went out around the same time the kit was installed. These bikes are known to kill rectifiers so it could be coincidence. Thanks for the help.

And its 26v at the headlight socket. Everything else works perfect

No mods, I am original owner and it is hooked up correctly. Voltage reads 26 which is too high as previously mentioned. I guess all I am asking is, could this kit ruin a new rectifier because it seems that is the issue. Would anyone disagree? I have tried contacting Ryco but have not heard back. Stevethe, do you have Roy's contact information? All i have is whats given on his website. Mike, thanks for nothing.

It can't ruin a rectifier unless hooked up wrong. WR's are not known for ruining rectifiers and good luck, buddy, you're now on your own.

Mike

From another website:  If anyone wants, the new email address for ryco motorsports is rycomoto@gmail.com

Leave your ph. number and a good time to call and likely he will call you or email.

By the way I haven't heard of stock rectifiers going out. I did have a Baja designs rectifier go out on the supermoto. It was killing the battery.

Roy is out in Baja, I would bet he has limited coverage out there.

never seen this before but i know most bikes have a regulator that simply grounds the stator output if the voltage exceeds 14 volts. if you forgot to plug in the regulator it won't regulate anything and you will be blowing bulbs.

i don't know where yours is located but it would be on the same circuit that the stator is connected to.