New WR owner from Michigan

WR1.jpg

Hey all,

Long time lurker here that finally registered.  Just sold my '08 CRF450R and picked up a new leftover '12 WR450F.  Got a lot to learn about this blue bike since it's my first Yamaha in about 20yrs.  I've already removed the peashooter and ordered a comp ECU for it.  Just trying to get the darn thing to start.  I know it runs because the dealer tech started it for me when i picked it up.  I'm guessin the very cold and lovely Michigan weather combined with very lean factory settings are whats giving me trouble.  Anyway, thanks in advance for all of the info I've gleaned from this site over the years.  Looking forward to contributing as well.

Edited by 3Deuces

I live in MI. and have a 2012.....I bought it late in 2012 so I only got one ride on it.....It sat in the garage all winter...But I would start it and buzz around on it if the weather was good....Never had a issue with it starting....Even when it dropped to near zero..Fired right up....Pull the choke....Turn on ignition and wait for the fuel pump to finish priming....Then hit the starter.....Don't hold it down...Just let it turn over a few times and stop...Then wait for the fuel pump to prime again and repeat with the quick hit of the starter....Should fire right up.....Unlike those pricey orange bikes....Welcome to the elite WR owners of michigan...We are few but....We alway have a crowd of orange  standing around our bikes and saying how cool they are.....Hope to see yah on the trail...

Dustin

Thanks Dustin, I'll give that technique a try.

I read your post in the 2012 WR thread about installing heavier springs for your weighyout. I also weigh about 225. What springs did you go with?

Edited by 3Deuces

Front forks are .48

The rear shock I think is 5.0...I cant find my paper work on that.....It was just a few over stock for both.....I ride lots of tight twisty rocky rooty single track...so I like it soft.....Had MCR http://mcrsuspension.com ( Matt Crown Racing) in Metamora Mi. do my suspension......Very happy with it and great prices.....Matt Crown did all of Pastranna's suspension and bike work...If I can find exact number for spring rates I can let yah know...

Edited by huffyboy

I'm from Michigan too.  I picked up a new 12 450 in July of last year from C&C in Brighton.  I've got the new ecu and an FMF slip on pipe with the throttle stop removed.  Starts ok when warm but not when it is freezing cold like it has been.  I have around 400 miles on it and love it.

Got my new ecu, slapped it in, hit the button and it was running after about two revolutions. Still need to get a security Torx and get that stop out of there. Much happier now!

Allow some time to perform this stop screw changeout mod.

It's somewhat fustrating where it's located, and requires patience to remove and replace without removing the throttle body.  It can be done with dexterity, but you will need time and patience.

Allow some time to perform this stop screw changeout mod.

It's somewhat fustrating where it's located, and requires patience to remove and replace without removing the throttle body.  It can be done with dexterity, but you will need time and patience.

X2.  I actually had my wife put the new screw in.  I couldn't get my big hands in there.

I'm from Michigan too.  I picked up a new 12 450 in July of last year from C&C in Brighton.  I've got the new ecu and an FMF slip on pipe with the throttle stop removed.  Starts ok when warm but not when it is freezing ecold like it has been.  I have around 400 miles on it and love it.

I'm in South Lyon and tried to get C&C to match Babbitts price but they wouldn't. Had to drive to Muskegon, but I'd recommend Babbitts to anyone. Great people to work with.

Front forks are .48

The rear shock I think is 5.0...I cant find my paper work on that.....It was just a few over stock for both.....I ride lots of tight twisty rocky rooty single track...so I like it soft.....Had MCR http://mcrsuspension.com ( Matt Crown Racing) in Metamora Mi. do my suspension......Very happy with it and great prices.....Matt Crown did all of Pastranna's suspension and bike work...If I can find exact number for spring rates I can let yah know...

Dustin -

What did MCR do with your suspension and how much was it?  I havent really messed with mine yet and am thinking maybe I should take it up there.

I'm from Michigan too.  I picked up a new 12 450 in July of last year from C&C in Brighton.  I've got the new ecu and an FMF slip on pipe with the throttle stop removed.  Starts ok when warm but not when it is freezing cold like it has been.  I have around 400 miles on it and love it.

I bought my bike from them as well....How many do they have left?....I keep thinking of getting another one and making it a supermoto .......