Street legal 2006 WR450

What do you think is the legitness of this bike?

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/4359064075.html

I like the idea of a street legal WR450 but I don't want to buy it only to have the plate taken away. Would I be better to try and get an 03 or older model?

Thanks for any info.

I have the exact same bike only mine is 2009. Similar mods with the baja design DS kit. 

It seems like way too much for an 06 to me. You can find a new 2013 for $6k in Indiana. I paid $3k for mine two years ago.

Just FYI, the WR450 makes a rather lousy DS bike compared to a DRZ400. Much more of a dirt only bike. High strung and and designed for racing. I tried to DS mine and ended up buying a BMW F800GS for that. Now my WR is a dirt bike that I have street legal only to get from one dirt trail to the next. I trailer it everywhere. You can add the BD DS kit to any bike so don't get hung up on finding one that already is street legal. 

Cool, thanks for the info.

I may just go for a standard WR. I have a VFR for a rode bike just thought it might be nice to have the option, like you, to get to the trails. I may just get a standard throw a BD DS on it and risk it when riding to a trail.

Edited by 707eric

Just FYI, the WR450 makes a rather lousy DS bike compared to a DRZ400. Much more of a dirt only bike. High strung and and designed for racing. I tried to DS mine and ended up buying a BMW F800GS for that. Now my WR is a dirt bike that I have street legal only to get from one dirt trail to the next. I trailer it everywhere. You can add the BD DS kit to any bike so don't get hung up on finding one that already is street legal.

I agree completely. My 2011 is plated (bought it like that), thought it'd be cool, but I ended up removing all the street legal gear and have been riding dirt only for months now. I don't think the WR450F makes a great dual sport because of its pure dirt/race lineage. It's nice sometimes to have the option to ride legally on the street, to a buddy's house or a close ride area or something, but this bike doesn't do great on the highway or for extensive street use with its narrow seat, relatively light weight, lack of cooling in slow/stopped traffic, and five speed gearbox (unless you gear it way tall - and kill its low speed utility on the dirt). But in all cases: to each his own.

BTW - bike looks really clean, but definitely overpriced, even with "500" miles (prove it). I got my equally lightly used 2011 last May for $4200, which is only to say there are always other deals out there if you're patient and sometimes lucky.

With that gray wire switch, while absolutely unnecessary, I wonder if the guy is a member here.

Shoot I would give up my 2009 for that price, along with damper and go-pro mounts and tons of bling

2009 Yamaha WR450F Ga. Street Legal
DSCF1999_zpsb291a81d.jpg
DSCF2000_zpsf17dfc7f.jpg

The same guy has a 08 CRF450 that is CA plated for sale now also. I think he found a  loophole that I need to find. I would love to get a plated 13 WR450.

Humm I think WR450's make great dual purpose bikes and great street bikes.  More reliable than Suzuki DRZ400's. DRZ's have funky problems, counter shaft's breaking and so forth. In other countries WR450's are street legal and ridden many of thousands of miles.

The same guy has a 08 CRF450 that is CA plated for sale now also. I think he found a loophole that I need to find. I would love to get a plated 13 WR450.

. Yes that same guys has sold two bikes just like that on Craigslist and the person who bought them said on Craigslist his plates were pulled from the dmv when went to do his transfer. Edited by exracer2

. Yes that same guys has sold two bikes just like that on Craigslist and the person who bought them said on Craigslist his plates were pulled from the dmv when went to do his transfer.

Yeah I had a feeling something like that would happen. I had considered buying it but not worth paying the premium for a plate only to have it taken away. Since it is craigslist I would have no recourse.

The CRF450R should have had its plate pulled as it was a red sticker bike. That's a no-no in CA. The WR, not so sure why. Should have done the transfer paperwork at AAA. If not a member, become one for just that reason so you don't have to deal with the CA DMV.

WR can and has been done :D

Now the link is to a plated 450X.

BTW, the plate is worth no more than $500 to a bike as a premium in CA. Find out how much the bike is worth without the plate on places like NADA and add $500. There is no guarantee that it will not get flaged at the DMV. Make that a contingency of the sale if at all possible. Find a way to have the buyer go with you/friend to DMV to process the paperwork. If not, you assume all the risk.

Now the link is to a plated 450X.

BTW, the plate is worth no more than $500 to a bike as a premium in CA. Find out how much the bike is worth without the plate on places like NADA and add $500. There is no guarantee that it will not get flaged at the DMV. Make that a contingency of the sale if at all possible. Find a way to have the buyer go with you/friend to DMV to process the paperwork. If not, you assume all the risk.

That's interesting, he changed the ad. Gets more nad more sketchy. Time to buy a 13 and get it plated :D

That's interesting, he changed the ad. Gets more nad more sketchy. Time to buy a 13 and get it plated :D

Your confidence in your ability to plate it in CA is intriguing :D

Your confidence in your ability to plate it in CA is intriguing :D

I have built a few bikes so the challenge has me intrigued. I have a close friend that is a mechanical engineer. I am talking to him to about building a custom frame for a WR, as close to indentical to facory without IP infringments. I have fought DMV a few times in the past on vehicles. A true custom frame should be just as legitmate for a WR as it is for a custom build chopper. I think the best chance at winning will be to use a FI bike, that way if needed I can pass a smog test. The hard part will be coming out of pocket the 6-8k for a FI WR.

Edited by 707eric

No smog required, just do "Special Construction".

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/vr/checklists/special_con.htm

As far as the Brake and Light inspection goes, no worries:

Official brake and light adjustment certificates. When an official brake and light station that inspects specific vehicles such as motorcycles and large commercial vehicles is not located within a reasonable distance, DMV will accept a Statement of Facts (REG 256) from a repair shop attesting that the brakes and lights are in proper working order.

Of course, I have no knowledge of this, this is just rumor and wild speculation :D

I agree completely. My 2011 is plated (bought it like that), thought it'd be cool, but I ended up removing all the street legal gear and have been riding dirt only for months now. I don't think the WR450F makes a great dual sport because of its pure dirt/race lineage. It's nice sometimes to have the option to ride legally on the street, to a buddy's house or a close ride area or something, but this bike doesn't do great on the highway or for extensive street use with its narrow seat, relatively light weight, lack of cooling in slow/stopped traffic, and five speed gearbox (unless you gear it way tall - and kill its low speed utility on the dirt). But in all cases: to each his own.

OH, I almost forgot to mention.... If you do decide to ride a WR450 on the road for any amount of time, get the Dynatek ignition. Totally fixes the "studder" where the ignition map switches from low to high RPM and you can calibrate the TPS. No shit, I fought that problem for a year thinking the TPS needed adjusted, jets, exhaust, etc.... Really simple fix. Buy it and plug it in. Get the USB programmer to really dial it in. Its a must have for a road bound WR450 pre FI.... JMHO.

Shoot I would give up my 2009 for that price, along with damper and go-pro mounts and tons of bling

2009 Yamaha WR450F Ga. Street Legal
DSCF1999_zpsb291a81d.jpg
DSCF2000_zpsf17dfc7f.jpg

If there was a WRFOFITTY Bike of the month competition, this bike would have my vote! I would be reluctant to get this bike dirty.

Nice setup!