HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
billygildark5007

2010-13 yz450 keep air boot cleaner

5 posts in this topic

This is just a cheap simple trick but I found it helps keep the boot cleaner. I have noticed dirt/sand still finds a way into to intake boot. I use electrical tape and cover the seems on the inner filterImageUploadedByThumper Talk1393796590.385394.jpg I have noticed the boot cleaner on recent teardowns. Hope this helps. Have a good ride!!!

Do you grease the lip of your filter. I did last summer and it made a mess of the air box and was almost impossible too clean off of the the metal frame on the air box but I I'm a little nervous not too. By the looks of it you don't because of how clean the edge of your air box is unless you have found a better method too clean it than i have. I use no toil cleaner filter oil and filter grease for the edge. I should mention I never really saw Any dirt inside the boot witch is most important but I actually took my air box off the bike just too scrub the edge I would love not too grease the lip but but don't know if that's a good idea

Edited by Mtrain730

I found that I never liked this stock airbox system, as it seemed to always allow dirt in when you changed the filter, and the filter never seemed to fit very well. I just splurged on the Twin Air System, and have had no issues since. Yes it is a little spendy, but I found it to be worth every penny.

http://motocrossactionmag.com/Reviews/News/MXA-TEAM-TESTED-TWIN-AIR-YAMAHA-YZ450F-POWERFLOW-K-7757.aspx

I hate greasing the filter and never will. To clean inside air box i use simple green rags and q-tips. Also last time I removed it I disassembled air box and used gasket maker on all the seems.