05 WR450 Oversize Tank Fire

I bought this bike second hand back in 2008.  It had either the GTYR or similar AIS Removal kit installed, Grey Wire, jets installed but was basically stock.  I added the Acerbis oversize tank myself and rode the bike regularly until we had our second child in 2009.  Last time I rode it was 12 months ago.  I fired it up at the house before loading it up, and it started up fine.  At the campground however, it was boggy, and would stall.  The engine backfired several times as I tried warming it up, and then I saw flames.  I was lucky not to lose the bike thanks to a fellow camper with a fire extinguisher.  As it was the bike burned for several minutes before we could get it out.

What I think happened was the rubber cap on the AIS removal kit must have dry rotted, and a flame blew out of the pipe, rupturing the crossover fuel line and igniting the bike.  I am posting this as a heads up to others using the Acerbis tank and the GYTR AIS Removal kit.  After repairing the bike I will be removing the AIS pipe and plugging the hole.

Yes I found that post and already have the parts.  Your comments in that post made me post this.  I also tried to post a photo but for some reason this site would not post the attachment.  So far it looks like I need new Throttle, Clutch and Hot Start cables plus maybe the starter and ignition wires, along with new radiator shrouds.  All in all, very, very lucky I didn't lose the bike, or worse....  Anyone w/ the Acerbis tank and GYTR AIS removal kit should retrofit to your solution.

Just for the record, removing the ais does not help the bike make any more power or change your jetting requirements. here in California I know of several ohv areas where rangers will not let you offload your bike or give you a ticket if they see you riding your green sticker bike with the ais removed. Mine is still connected and functional.

This is probably not an issue if you live in the rest of Free America.

Great safety tip by the way.

Edited by condor74

Just for the record, removing the ais does not help the bike make any more power or change your jetting requirements. here in California I know of several ohv areas where rangers will not let you offload your bike or give you a ticket if they see you riding your green sticker bike with the ais removed. Mine is still connected and functional.

This is probably not an issue if you live in the rest of Free America.

Great safety tip by the way.

Maybe that for the best.  You folks have enough fires, right?

I am not sure I want to defend Acerbis or their design, but the tank appears to have held up to an extraordinary amount of flame/fire compared to the stock Yamaha plastics.  Wish I could post pics without having to create bullshit accounts and jumping through hoops.  My recollection is this forum was more user friendly back in the day...

Wish I could post pics without having to create bullshit accounts and jumping through hoops.  My recollection is this forum was more user friendly back in the day...

Bottom right corner of the reply box is "more reply options".  Click that, and it takes you to the full editor/preview dialog.  Under the reply window there, you'll find "attach files", which will allow you to upload pictures directly from your computer to the site, a feature that was NOT available in earlier versions of the forum.

Hi Greyracer,

Thanks for the tip on the Reply.  I did upload a photo with the original post, but it didn't "stick" for some reason.  I have attached the same photo to this reply, hopefully it will upload this time.  Perhaps I hit the Post button to fast last time...