HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ATC

YZ400f?

4 posts in this topic

Hi. im looking at buying at 1999 yz400, it has old gas in it and possibly needs a carb rebuild and maybe valves adjusted. Is there anything i should look at specifically.How do these bikes compare to the 426/450's? Would it be a decent trail bike?

Thanks, Brennan

That was my first 4 stroke and I loved it. I bit heavy compared to my current 06' but a great bike and lots of power and torque. What bike are you coming off of? The hardest thing is getting the starting sequence down. There are very specific steps and once you learn them you can start it with no problems but none of your other friends will be able to!

Check valves, change ALL fluids, flush radiator, put in new plug, reapply grease to wheel bearings, linkage and steering stem.

GO RIDE!

That was my first 4 stroke and I loved it. I bit heavy compared to my current 06' but a great bike and lots of power and torque. What bike are you coming off of? The hardest thing is getting the starting sequence down. There are very specific steps and once you learn them you can start it with no problems but none of your other friends will be able to!

Check valves, change ALL fluids, flush radiator, put in new plug, reapply grease to wheel bearings, linkage and steering stem.

GO RIDE!

I'm coming off of a 3 wheeler. 

Hi. im looking at buying at 1999 yz400, it has old gas in it and possibly needs a carb rebuild and maybe valves adjusted. Is there anything i should look at specifically.How do these bikes compare to the 426/450's? Would it be a decent trail bike?

Thanks, Brennan

My first MX 4-stroke was a '99 yz400. Great Bike, very reliable.

They are a little heavier and a little slower than 426/450's. Still very capable bikes though.

That said, I don't think it would make very good trail bike; it's specifically designed for MX - the motor hits hard, it's geared tall, and suspension is stiff.

If your trails are not too tight it should work . . .