HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
fdeluca

2012 wr 450 starter removal for wieght savings

14 posts in this topic

On the 2012 WR450 you can remove the battery and starter.  This can be done to save weight.  I have been running the bike without battery just fine.  I would like to remove starter also.  This MOD was pointed out by all major off road magazines when they were doing there bike evaluations back when the bike first hit the show rooms.  No one tells you how they do it though.  GYTR does not seem to have a plug or blanking plate of sorts.  I was thinking that you could pull the starter remove the internals and then re-install the starter case as the solution to plugging the hole where the starter would spline to engine gearing.  I thought possible having a plug machined for the same purpose.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Thanks  fdeluca

WHY??

Because, when you simply say, "search for it", or whatever, you are as lazy as the person who didn't, often simply because he isn't aware of the fact that others have discussed it, and much less courteous.  By posting the link, you expose him to the fact that things can be found that way without being a jerk.

Of course, if your goal is to discourage newer members rather than encourage them, that's another matter. 

3 people like this

I don't get why anyone would buy a bike like a WR 450, for its advantages like the electric start only to pull it off? Why not just start with a YZ450F instead?

I don't get why anyone would buy a bike like a WR 450, for its advantages like the electric start only to pull it off? Why not just start with a YZ450F instead?

Well, if they want an offroad 450 and want things like a wide ratio trans, headlight, offroad valved suspenders, kickstand, etc. it's much cheaper to start with a woods bike than it is to add all that stuff to an MX bike.

I'm not one to remove the button though as I can't feel a 10lb weight difference.

Well, if they want an offroad 450 and want things like a wide ratio trans, headlight, offroad valved suspenders, kickstand, etc. it's much cheaper to start with a woods bike than it is to add all that stuff to an MX bike.

I'm not one to remove the button though as I can't feel a 10lb weight difference.

What he said.  I've been riding, or at least trying to ride, my 06 YZ for 7 years now in the woods and the big issue, even after a revalve done by a competent shop, is getting the bike to handle like a bike should on the trails.  The newest WR offerings are very capable right out of the box for the most part, but I for one (and obviously others too) don't care for the e-start feature because it adds weight (and complexity). 

There's probably another 5-8 pounds to be dropped by converting it back to a carburetor, too. :cool:

3 people like this

For what it's worth, I think bobpara's "WHY" post was in the context of "why would you remove the starter from a WR" as it's part of the off road package.

The OP had a legitimate question, and just as it's a courtesy to help with the info or a link to a previous conversation, there is a degree of courtesy on the part of the person asking to pay due diligence and search first. Not everybody realizes that, though, but people learn. It is a discussion board after all.

That said, I am a huge fan of the "Let me Google that for you" trick when it's something really lame.

I remember a weight reduction/MX conversion "project bike" MXA did starting with the Gen2 WR450 a couple years back wherein they removed the kick starter, not the other way around.  Made an interesting twist.

Now that's just crazy. I say remove all starting apparatuses and revert to the old faithful bump start. Yeah, it's a bitch in the rocks, but you save an extra 3.5 lbs, so it's worth it.