Plastic Skid plates for steel frame WR450s

Is hyde the only option?  I've heard mixed review on those.  I know there are aluminum bash plates, but I would prefer the plastic ones as they are lighter and don't reflect so much engine noise.

I might just have to deal with the noise of the aluminium plates.

I have an aluminum one on my 06 and haven't noticed an increase in engine noise. However, I didn't know it did that so I wasn't listening for it.

I had a Hyde on my '03 and it was awesome. Better than the TMD or the Acerbis by a mile

I had a Hyde on my '03 and it was awesome. Better than the TMD or the Acerbis by a mile

Whats better with the Hyde vs TMD? I was looking into the TMD for the coverage and that they have a good chain guide reputation. Had a Hyde on my last bike and it cracked about the 4 month mark.

You know, I mixed those up.

I meant TMD before Hyde.

I have a TMD on my WR

IMG_0718_zps2396ee09.jpg

I meant TMD before Hyde.

I have a TMD on my WR

IMG_0718_zps2396ee09.jpg

Pretty good plate so far?

Pretty good plate so far?

Yeah, I remove it for every oil change ( I keep forgetting to bore a drain hole) and while it surely will not last as long as an aluminium skid plate (forever...), it has been great.

Yeah, I remove it for every oil change ( I keep forgetting to bore a drain hole) and while it surely will not last as long as an aluminium skid plate (forever...), it has been great.

You need to use it more (bash).  I am on my third Flatland (in 6 years though).  Love it, but I abuse them.  I should probably learn how to straighten them better.  The bottom ends up getting contorted enough that it gets hard to align the underneath bolt and the front top bolt.  I stripped out the underneath mounting points threads as the plate was so far out of alignment.

The Flatland plates are tough as hell though.  Hard to get them back to proper alignment without some heavy duty "motivational tools" so I eventually just replace them.  love them though :thumbsup:

You need to use it more (bash).  I am on my third Flatland (in 6 years though).  Love it, but I abuse them.  I should probably learn how to straighten them better.  The bottom ends up getting contorted enough that it gets hard to align the underneath bolt and the front top bolt.  I stripped out the underneath mounting points threads as the plate was so far out of alignment.

The Flatland plates are tough as hell though.  Hard to get them back to proper alignment without some heavy duty "motivational tools" so I eventually just replace them.  love them though :thumbsup:

Yeah, but Ken, you use the bottom, sides, and top of your bike as a skid plate too!  ...but I might add to great success, as you can climb any hill you put your mind to climbing....

IMG_0838_zps7cd5ad9e.jpg

Yah, that's why for me it's a bash plate. From Saturdays ride:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

How far back does the TMD plate go in covering the frame rails? I like how high it comes up and around the water pump area, it practically encased it.

Edited by KennyMc

I meant TMD before Hyde.

I have a TMD on my WR

To be clear, you had a Hyde on the 03, not a TMD?  I didn't see a plastic plate for my year/frame on the TMD site.