HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
haydug

Chain adjuster bolt?

6 posts in this topic

I have a 2014 yz 450. The brake side chain adjuster bolt refuses to stay tight. I don't want to add blue loctight, but I'm at my wits end. Anyone have a cure?

The correct way to keep the adjusters tight is to first get the chain tension set, the align the wheel , then tighten the adjuster lock nuts while the axle is loose, THEN tighten the axle last.

There is clearance in the bolt threads. If you tighten the axle first, then run the bolts hard against that, you push the front of the bolt threads against the back face of the threads in the swing arm. When you then tighten the jam nuts, that pulls the adjuster bolts rearward, relieving the tension that holds them from loosening.

I guess I do it correctly then. I set my slack, take my 10mm wrench and put between the chain and sprocket to "pull" tension against the adjusters, then tighten the axle. Then snug the 10mm bolt against the axle blocks(normally they are snug) and hold while tightening the 12mm locknut. I've done it this way for years with no issues.

I guess I do it correctly then. I set my slack, take my 10mm wrench and put between the chain and sprocket to "pull" tension against the adjusters, then tighten the axle. Then snug the 10mm bolt against the axle blocks(normally they are snug) and hold while tightening the 12mm locknut. I've done it this way for years with no issues.

That's the wrong way.  The lock nuts should be tightened BEFORE the axle is tightened.

I will try that tomorrow evening sir. Thanks once again for helping another yz owner out.