HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
svemo

cracked frame yz450 -12

4 posts in this topic

discovered this , as I was to install my newly rebuilded engine,  any comment?

I bought bike last year from a prorider, maybe crack was already there then??

I find no other cracks on frame.

Will talk to welder about this.

IMG_1899.JPG

IMG_1898.JPG

IMG_1897.JPG

IMG_1896.JPG

Im no expert, and i dont claim to be buy i personally wouldnt race it like that. That is a stress crack and could fail any moment. You can have it welded but the frames on those bikes are heat treated to i believe T6 Temper and welding it will affect the heat treating in the area of the weld so you will have to find some place that specializes in heat treating aluminum. If you dont heat treat it after welding it will just crack again. Just my $.02

The frames are quite repairable by welding without any undue or abnormal concern over heat treating.  It's not a problem when the weld is done correctly. 

1 person likes this

My '11 cracked as well. I had it welded but it eventually failed again. Check out the thread here: http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1039057-2011-yz450-frame-cracked/?hl=%2Bframe+%2Bcracked

You can find replacement frames on Ebay for as little as $500, but who know what kind of abuse they have endured.

Good luck with the fix.

Edited by swaldrop