Need some help with Yamaha WR450 2008

Hi.

I'm new on this forum.Need some advice from you guys.

My starter motor has just died. Yamaha WR 450F 2008

Did a litle searching on the internet,ebay and so one..

my question is this:

are the wr450F 2003 and the 2008 starter motors the same?will it fit and work fine?

Here are some pictures i got from the search.They look similar......

Thank you!

starter.jpg

starter 2.jpg

What exactly is it doing and are you sure it isn't a problem somewhere else?  Like sometimes the auto decompress sticks retracted and the starter doesn't have the balls to turn the engine over without it.  

I see some starters on ebay from Ricks Motorsports that says it works from '03 to '11

The early starters they post as fitting do not, ask me how I know.

Buy a factory new one, if it's bad. Don't be in a hurry to install it either, yea just don't ask about that either. Take off the small starter cover and align the gears to the new starter. Don't just jam it in.  

ok..so they are not the same...?

2003 - 2006 motor is not the same a 2007-2011

2003 - 2006 motor is not the same a 2007-2011

not even the starter motor?

Dude, two people have answered your question already.

What more are you looking for?

Dude, two people have answered your question already.

What more are you looking for?

ok,thank you

Any idea where i could find a 2008 model?

bikebandit.com

yamaha.com

Try Boats.net for the best price on a starter.

Log onto bike bandit

Spec out a motor for both years

See if they call out the same part no

look at the first post.In the photos attached...they dont have the same part no

Then it seems pretty clear.  They are not the same.   

The Starter went on my 07 WR450, turns out the auto decompressor was gummed up and not working properly, the extra load on the starter caused it to burn out, I had mine rewound and new brushes, all ok now. I clean my auto decompressor everytime I check valves now (I spray solvent into the mechanism to degunk it. Since the rebuild (costly) I found www.rockymountainatv.com carries aftermarket starter motors at a fraction of the cost. Good luck with the repair.

The Starter went on my 07 WR450, turns out the auto decompressor was gummed up and not working properly, the extra load on the starter caused it to burn out, I had mine rewound and new brushes, all ok now. I clean my auto decompressor everytime I check valves now (I spray solvent into the mechanism to degunk it. Since the rebuild (costly) I found www.rockymountainatv.com carries aftermarket starter motors at a fraction of the cost. Good luck with the repair.

Looks like they go up to 06' on RMATV.  They changed the starter motors in 07'.

There is a guy on eBay that lists a 06' fitting don't believe him I had to send it back.