Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WasatchRider

Install 2007 Wr450 header pipe and silencer on 2003 Wr450?

7 posts in this topic

I have a 2003 WR450 that I want to install a stock 2007 Wr450 header pipe and silencer on. I know that I will have to modify the mounts. Have any of you done this before? I can use some advice on the best way to modify the mounts (or any other advice you want to give me).

If I just use the 2007 header pipe will it bolt up on the 2003 and work with the stock 2003 silencer? I have read some posts that say the 2007 header pipe may be too large to fit the stock 2003 silencer but I wasn't 100% sure if they were referring to the WR or YZ header pipes.

The reason I am doing this is because my titanium header pipe is crushed on my 2003 WR450 (it was that way when I bought it). I have access to a 2007 WR450 header pipe and stock silencer (if needed). If I can make it work I would like to use the 2007 silencer since my 2003 silencer doesn't have the insert to make it quieter.

I don't post on forums much but I really enjoy reading the posts on Thumpertalk. This is a great site! Thank you for any replies!

I was told by one of the better-informed posters here that it would work -- but will "stick out" further from the engine than the original head pipe. 

One thing you should know: There are people who swear by filling a badly dented pipe with water and freezing it in the refridgerator to pop out the dents. Have no idea if this is true -- but there is a thread somewhere on this site (don't think it was on this particular WR forum) whose author swears it has worked for him numerous times. 

There is a stock head pipe on ebay from a motorcycle salvage guy -- but it is already dented. 

Thanks for the replies! Parx_400 that worked really well on your header pipe. My header pipe is really smashed and tweaked. I froze water in it 15+/- times and it took out some smaller dents but didn't even come close to fixing the big problems so I gave up trying to freeze water in it. Maybe I gave up too soon. Plus I didn't use plugs in the end because I didn't have any plugs and I saw some posts that said you can do it without the plugs. It would be really cool if I can get the freezer method to fix it. I'll try and post some pics later today.

Here is a picture of the 2007 WR450 header pipe I installed on my 2003 WR450 with the stock silencer. The header pipe maybe sticks out a little farther but not too bad. It is a little loose at the header pipe to silencer sleeve connection so I might need a thicker gasket. Overall seems to work pretty good.20140208_214827.jpg

Edited by WasatchRider

Here is a picture of the 2007 WR450 header pipe I installed on my 2003 WR450 with the stock silencer. The header pipe maybe sticks out a little farther but not too bad. It is a little loose at the header pipe to silencer sleeve connection so I might need a thicker gasket. Overall seems to work pretty good.attachicon.gif20140208_214827.jpg

It is loose because the 2007-up header pipe is smaller diameter than the 2003 WR450 pipe. 

So while you now have a straight pipe with no dents in it you have hurt the performance more than if you

had left the dented pipe on the bike.

You should look for a pipe that will have the proper diameter to mate with the silencer.   2003-4 WR450

and 2003-5 YZ450 are the same pipe.   Also if that is the stock 2003 WR450 silencer it is crap and I

would dump it.