2004 yz450f

Was 2004 a good year for the yz450f? Just wondering if there was any problems with them or if I should avoid that year. I have a 2002 yz250f and its a bullet proof bike, I've never had any problems with it. Does the 2004 yz450f have the same reliability?

The '04 was very reliable.  It was a 4 speed, remember?  The engine was a refined version of the '03.  Brutal, explosive low/mid range power that most people found hard to manage, though most have fun trying.

The '04 had upgrades to two parts that the '03 had trouble with, those being the kick starter assembly, and the connecting rod bearing.  The only thing to watch out for with them is how long they've already been run, and how hard.  They wear out like everything else, it just takes longer.

The '04 was very reliable.  It was a 4 speed, remember?  The engine was a refined version of the '03.  Brutal, explosive low/mid range power that most people found hard to manage, though most have fun trying.

It's a bit easier with 17inch full race wets or ladder cut slicks on tarmac, but still a challenge :)

Mine loves to go up against all the new "super fast and loud KX450's"  my bike is quieter and same kind of power - ok a little less on top..

I rode the 04 for 7 years and never had a problem with the motor. The 5 valve is almost indestructible!!! In 200hrs I only adjusted the valves once. I did do piston, rings and crank at 100hrs but they looked brand new. As long as you change the oil every 2-3hrs it'll run forever.

If everyones saying the 04 is better than the 03 then i would say its an extremely reliable bike. I have the 03 and never had a single issue had her for almost 2 years, had a 2003 yz250f as well i upgraded and never looked back, Its easy to ride a blast jumping, and wheelies are super easy.

f everyones saying the 04 is better than the 03 then i would say its an extremely reliable bike.

Well since the bike are 99% the same - I think we love them both (plus the 05).

btw -- the 05 forks rock! and are the best improvement!