Jedediah Haines championship wr450

have had people ask me about my '13 wr450 so after the AMA banquet was once over I took pictures of it so and made a list of the changes I have and/or are making before the '14 season, I am NOT a fan of turning a wr into a yz, if you want a yz buy a yz, dont we buy wr's for the button? so why take it off? haha anyways, the mods/changes are my preferences and have obviously worked for me

mods/changes: 

-Sunstar chain and sprockets, lighter but still strong, GYTR for the 14 season

-TMdesigns chain guide

-Solid rear rotor, I dont like too touchy of a rear brake and the solid rotor actually runs cooler than vented

-GYTR steel braided brake lines front and rear with high temp synthetic brake fluid

-IMS pegs shifter and oversized tank

-FMF slip on, going to be a full system for 14, ti muffler and stainless header

-Rekluse cover, stock clutch currently but going with the core EXP 3.0 for 14

-Wiseco piston, hi comp during the winter to make the bike harder to handle making the standard comp during race season seem easy to hang on to

-Fasstway Flex bars, 15 degree moto low with red spacers

-Unabiker rad gaurds and skid plate, currently working with unabiker to allow more air flow and hold the coil

-oversized welded radiators, not yet on but will be before the season

-Evans coolant, waterless, zero heat problems even on gnarly trails

-CV4 hoses, they are for the 13 250f, only slightly modified and allows for the elimination of the metal 'Y' pipe out of the water pump

-stock yz cams

-GYTR cdi for remapping

-Ballistic battery, huge weight savings

-protaper clutch perch assembly for easy adjustments

-quickturn throttle tube, yes its efi but if you have to turn less thats less work

-step seat, currently stock cover, may go pleated for the season

-eliminated backfire screen

- removed headlight housing, saves weight, have you priced one of those?!

-relocated capacitor, was holding mud around cases, now located on bottom of throttle body, see picture

- removed coolant overflow bottle

- removed kill switch, was shutting bike off when adjusting the clutch on the fly haha and with the power button why need it?

-oury grips

-enduro engineering handgaurds

-GYTR airfilter

-FactoryConnection suspenion

- Kenda tires (110 rear) with Flat Tire Defenders in them, if you dont know what FTD's are, google it! theyre better than bibs!

- stock spacer located under top triple clamp relocated above to allow the clamp to be lower and for more of a rake on the front allowing me to be more aggressive, yes it takes away some steering but I dont do enduros so its not a problem

- removed radiator gromet spacers and replaced them with the 250f spacers, this narrows the radiators by almost a full centimeter!

- removed the coil mount and relocated coil to radiator guard, allows for rerouting of coil wire to front of engine giving fuel pump more room and easier to work with when removing tank

-CR8EIX plug, just because it makes me feel better about it haha

- remove the speedo drive and kickstand when racing but re install them when practicing for convenience 

-had an oversized rotor but an unfortunate run in with a tree has me back to a stock rotor for now, going back to an oversized by the season, helps slow down the big beast

YES the tail light, electric start, and dash are still installed, the tail light weighs very little along with the dash, if that few pounds makes or breaks a race then the rider didnt train hard enough, as far as the starter, its a wr! haha

DSC03180.JPG

DSC03181.JPG

DSC03182.JPG

• Like 6

Jed, good luck in the 14 season. Thanks for posting everything, that's very cool of you. Your bike is awesome looking, bet it handles just as good. Is your race bike around the same weight of a stock WR? Did you choose to run the WR over the YZ in the National Hare Scramble, or a team decision? And why was the WR chosen over the YZ? It's a nice bike this year, as your 250 is to!!!

Jed, good luck in the 14 season. Thanks for posting everything, that's very cool of you. Your bike is awesome looking, bet it handles just as good. Is your race bike around the same weight of a stock WR? Did you choose to run the WR over the YZ in the National Hare Scramble, or a team decision? And why was the WR chosen over the YZ? It's a nice bike this year, as your 250 is to!!!

thanks! i dont know the exact weight of my wr, theres still a few things i wanna swap out yet before the season starts like the exhaust and radiators, we decided to go with the wr for convienance of the button mainly and the 18" rear wheel along with it being in the same frame as the 250f i was already riding, my competition was on 450s for the harescrambles and the 250 was faster in the woods but tracks never finish in the woods they finish in open sections and the 450s were eating me alive so we made the decision to go to the bigger bike, along with liking the button i liked the rideabillity of the wr over the yz, i work a regular job through the week and to really race a yz450 like it should be you need to be training to ride that bike and im just not able to do both

Cams are from which year YZ, if you don't mind?

they were out of a friends bike, i wanna say it was an 09 but for some reason 07 sticks in my head, either way it definitely lets it rev a little more freely than stock along with some power gain

Yeah, it would do that, alright.  For the unfamiliar, the reason I asked that is that there are 4 different cam sets fro the YZ450, the '03-'05, '06, '07, and '08-'09, each with progressively closer lobe centering and higher rev bias. 

Did you run into any problems relating to the E-start when the cams went in?  Some have had problems.

Yeah, it would do that, alright.  For the unfamiliar, the reason I asked that is that there are 4 different cam sets fro the YZ450, the '03-'05, '06, '07, and '08-'09, each with progressively closer lobe centering and higher rev bias. 

Did you run into any problems relating to the E-start when the cams went in?  Some have had problems.

they were given to me so i wasnt gonna say no haha and i know any of the yz cams would be more aggressive than the wr cam

as for starting with the cams no problems, i now have cams and highcomp piston and have to kick it when its cold but i dont plan on running the highcomp piston come race season

• 2 weeks later...

Jed, if you had to only choose 1 mod what would it be?

sorry for the delayed reply

if i only could do one mod it would be the stainless steel front brake line, what good is any power if you cant get it to stop and in control, second would be the gytr computer forsure

You will have absolutely no use for the e button once you put the EXP 3.0 on it. Its almost impossible to stall with a Rekluse.

See my thread for the details on removing about 20 pounds from your bike.

if i was just doing fun trail ride stuff i would take the button off but we ride goat paths and cant always touch to kick it haha

you did put your wr on a massive diet forsure! good thread, theres a local guy that races mx with his and no one can tell unless they know what theyre looking at, he even got an extra wheel with a 19 rim!

I had the opportunity to race one of these a weekend ago. I regularly race a 500exc in 30A and have won the last 2 races. My 2t took a turn for the worse halfway through the first lap and I ended up pushing it back to the pits. The promoter lend me his WR for me to finish 5th in the first moto (these are GPs) and 3rd in the second moto. Consider I have 300hrs on my 500exc so I have a pretty good setup. I was extremely impressed on how well the bike is. The handling was spot on, suspension was valved and sprung a little soft for my speed but still was really nice in the chop and slower stuff. If the bike is heavy, it never felt it coming off of things and in truth felt lighter then my 500exc when landing hard.

The power/motor department was excellent with great gear ratios. The two most noticeable differences between the WR and my 500exc was the WR felt a little heavier on the front (suspension could be to blame for a little of that) and the bike seemed to feel like it had a little more compression braking then my 500exc, even with both bikes having Rekluse clutches. There is no question that the bike is extremely capable of winning though....

I had the opportunity to race one of these a weekend ago. I regularly race a 500exc in 30A and have won the last 2 races. My 2t took a turn for the worse halfway through the first lap and I ended up pushing it back to the pits. The promoter lend me his WR for me to finish 5th in the first moto (these are GPs) and 3rd in the second moto. Consider I have 300hrs on my 500exc so I have a pretty good setup. I was extremely impressed on how well the bike is. The handling was spot on, suspension was valved and sprung a little soft for my speed but still was really nice in the chop and slower stuff. If the bike is heavy, it never felt it coming off of things and in truth felt lighter then my 500exc when landing hard.

The power/motor department was excellent with great gear ratios. The two most noticeable differences between the WR and my 500exc was the WR felt a little heavier on the front (suspension could be to blame for a little of that) and the bike seemed to feel like it had a little more compression braking then my 500exc, even with both bikes having Rekluse clutches. There is no question that the bike is extremely capable of winning though....

Hey, look, a KTM owner that is actually sane!  

Congratulations on recovering from the Kool-aid!

• Like 1