02 wr 426, 3rd gear sucks!!!any improvements?

It seems that 1st and 2nd gear are fairly close and then there is third gear which seems to far apart in the transmission. Whenever I go into high speed turns I have to downshift into 2nd to keep the rpm's up. This is causing me to shift uselessly back on forth on tight swithcbacks.

Would changing the sprockets sizes help noticeably or is that just the wr426?

Thanks

The 450 cam mod will fix that by giving you a much broader power band :)

Hey Gixxer,

What gearing are you running? Stock? I went up to a 52 in the rear and it made my 3rd much more user friendly.

Fryboy

It seems that 1st and 2nd gear are fairly close and then there is third gear which seems to far apart in the transmission

That is what makes it a "WR" (Wide-Ratio). Maybe you should consider a YZF instead as they have a close-ration tranny which may fit your riding style better.

Just a thought..........

I'd YZ time the bike. It gives you a lot more mid range and revs out quicker. If that doesn't do it, then trying gearing down a little.

I put a 13 tooth front sprocket on ($10 VS. $50 for the rear) and it made 3rd perfect. Plus now 1st a granny gear for jumping stumps.

Hey Fryboy, you ever going to go to CC with us (GSQUID).

Bike has PowerNow, JD KIT and is YZ timed. Gearing is stock however. I can't pull hard out of corners or hit steep hills in third without having to shift to 2nd right away.

450 cam is viable especially with decomp :)

Hey Fryboy, you ever going to go to CC with us (GSQUID).

Bike has PowerNow, JD KIT and is YZ timed. Gearing is stock however. I can't pull hard out of corners or hit steep hills in third without having to shift to 2nd right away.

450 cam is viable especially with decomp :)

Hey Gixxer,

I thought that was you. :D I am definately going to ride Clear Creek with you guys one of these days soon. I am still nursing my shoulder that sucka still isn't 100%.

Glad you found your way over here to TT.

Fryboy

I agree w/ JD OREGON, I did the same thing , dropped 1 tooth @ the front, made third gear AWESOME! Great wheelie puller!! :):D

Hope shoulder is better fryboy, going to prairie city for race tommorow. I went with a 13 tooth front sprocket, took it to hollister today and it felt real good. Of course no big hills to really try it out on though :)