HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yukondood

heated grips instal?

4 posts in this topic

I am going to install some heated grips.  For anyone that has done this where have your wired in for power and where did you ground.

Thanks

You left a lot of things out, like what year and model bike you have.  

That's important since some bikes have batteries and 12 volt systems, while others don't. 

I went straight to the battery for the power and used my computers ground wire for the ground point. If I were to do it again I would wire in a relay with the switch wire hooked to the ignition button so that I don't forget to turn them off and accidentally drain the battery. This way even if I leave the grip heater switch in the on position, if I turn off the ignition it cuts power to them. Since the headlight and taillight stay on with the ignition, it's hard to forget that it's on.

Edited by woods-rider

The lights on my bikes are powered by AC.  What I do is to tie my heated grips in to the AC hot lead to the headlight.  This way the heated grips shut down when the engine is not running.  Note that heated grips work just fine on AC.