HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cole40

Enduro tank question

7 posts in this topic

Hey guys, I have a enduro oversized tank on my 2000 yz426f. I love the extra capacity due to the amount of long riding trips I go on. My only complaint is that I cannot access my choke with the tank on. If I pull the choke out it will pop back in when the tank is on. Is there a modification I can do so I can keep my tank and be able to use the choke? Thanks!

Would probably be sketchy but you could try heating the plastic tank with heat gun almost until the plastic melts then press a dimple where the choke knob is. Or maybe try to shim the tank over by placing washers behind the tank but in front of where the tank bolts go. Ever way sounds tedious. Good luck.

What about rigging a hot start setup up in place of the choke?  I have no idea if the bore diameters are the same but with some ingenuity I'm sure it could be done.

What about rigging a hot start setup up in place of the choke?  I have no idea if the bore diameters are the same but with some ingenuity I'm sure it could be done.

hot start and choke are 2 different animals. Choke is for cold and adds more fuel and hot start adds more air to the mixture. can you shake some of the choke knob off?

To my knowledge when you pull up on the choke plunger, it blocks off an air passage in the carburetor, thereby richening the air/fuel mixture and causing the idle speed to increase.  So even though it doesn't technically add fuel, it does in a sense.  The hot start works much in the same way, only when you pull the hot start lever it opens an air passage in the carb.

So, like I said use a hot start plunger and cable in place of the choke lever SHOULD have the same result... pull the lever for the choke circuit and it moves the plunger inside exactly like what happens when you pull out on the knob that you have now.

Not quite. The "choke" opens a fuel path from the starter jet into the pilot air stream. It has a rubber seal on its end to close off the port when not in use.

The hot start opens an air path from in front of the slide to the intake tract behind the slide on the engine side, and has a seal midway along the plunger. Not interchangeable.

It may simply be that the detent that holds the choke out is worn out, or the tank needs to be remounted.

Not quite. The "choke" opens a fuel path from the starter jet into the pilot air stream. It has a rubber seal on its end to close off the port when not in use.

The hot start opens an air path from in front of the slide to the intake tract behind the slide on the engine side, and has a seal midway along the plunger. Not interchangeable.

It may simply be that the detent that holds the choke out is worn out, or the tank needs to be remounted.

It's been entirely too long since I had both out to compare them.  Someone with enough time on their hands and the right tools could figure out a cable operated choke I'm sure... but that definitely isn't me!