HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RLV199

Hot starting 2010 yz450f

6 posts in this topic

OKay so I recently hopped on a 2010 yz450f. (and love it!)

But it seems it always starts super easy no matter how cold but when it comes to starting the bike while its warm it takes forever.

I don't know if it is just an FI characteristic or a 450 trait or something is wrong.

Any insight would be nice.

Im coming off of an 07 Yz250f that no matter how hot usually started first kick with the hot start.

OKay so I recently hopped on a 2010 yz450f. (and love it!)

But it seems it always starts super easy no matter how cold but when it comes to starting the bike while its warm it takes forever.

I don't know if it is just an FI characteristic or a 450 trait or something is wrong.

Any insight would be nice.

Im coming off of an 07 Yz250f that no matter how hot usually started first kick with the hot start.

I almost made the same move as you, from '08 to '10.

Same results though; the '08 hot start was more effective than kicking the '10 while hot.

I believe that choke knob on the '10 is also used as hot start (accept don't pull out like when cold, but turn for the hot start option . . . but I'm not sure, I will have to check in manual. . . . do you have a manual you can check now? (I'm at work, no manual here!)

The "choke" on the EFI models is not a fuel enrichment device as it is on a carb.  The system already knows when the engine is cold, and adjusts fuel delivery to suit that condition all by itself.  The "cold start knob" is simply an air valve that has no other effect than to let more air through the throttle body the same as raising the idle speed or opening the throttle does.

Pulling the cold start knob out on hot restarts is one way of getting the bike to be more cooperative, as is cracking the throttle just off idle a bit, although using the "choke" is more precise and consistent.  Either way works, just be careful opening the throttle beyond a very small amount, as there is a risk that the engine could kick back, which it can do with a ferocity you don't want to be exposed to.

Thanks Gray you always have the answer Im looking for, i did notice a slight twist of the throttle helped some.

which it can do with a ferocity you don't want to be exposed to.

made me laugh, go you have experience with said ferocity

Um, yes, as a matter of fact.  And it's a damn good thing I was wearing my A-Stars when it happened. 

It's a little bit like being shot in the bottom of the foot.

all i know is my pressure washer is famous for finger dislocation so i can imagine what a 450 can accomplish